Here we go!! DIY IG started SE Ohio

We are just doing concrete for coping as well (same forms), though I am debating a different colored concrete border, which concrete guys say will run me an extra $900. Fantastic. We just measured our proposed concrete and it's 2000 sq ft. Pretty sure that wasn't in the budget so now we try to figure out where (and if) to cut costs.

FYI, how much were your deck jets? Our PB quote was $1000 for the 4 of them.

Wow, this is why I am doing everything by myself! They cost me $230 for all 4. We were thinking of doing stamped concrete as a border as well. That's the only thing I wouldn't had done by myself, we would have hired it out. It was roughly the same $ as you said. But, I have built 3 houses now (while keeping a full time job!) for my family and now this. So, you learn exactly where what money matters and where it doesn't. That being said, when I built this pool, we promised ourselves we were not going to go over the top with this. I don't think we are going to do the stamped concrete. I think I am just going to pour the decking and put that money into a waterfall and hopefully some great landscaping around the pool to make it feel like an oasis! I am on track right now and still figure I am going to have right at 15K in this build including aluminum/iron fence!

Oh, that's just for colored concrete. I'm not doing a stamped concrete deck. My friend had one and actually ripped it up because it was too slippery (and she doesn't even have children). My 10 year old has autism so safety was our #1 concern. Be glad that you have the DIY gene. DH and I did not get that and it costs us so much. $15K is our estimate for the concrete alone...Lord have mercy.

Exactly! I know. I grew up in homes that had dirt floors till I was able to work for money and am truly blessed by God. I have earned everything I have and take nothing for granted. Friends of ours started up an Autism Awareness group in our area as they have a son also with autism. Your families are very precious and special people. God bless

Your pool looks great! I have enjoyed watching your build. I haven't been nearly as good about posting. Too many long days and late nights working on the pool.
My husband and I were so excited to see your deck jets. We plumbed deck jets today. We plumbed in a loop too, but we had never thought about the fact that if you stood on one the others would shoot higher! Can't wait to use ours. We just had the liner installed today. It is filling with water as we speak! Swimming tomorrow in 95 degree weather!
Congratulations on a job well done!

Not much to update on, as I have been waiting for the cantilever forms to show up. They just showed up today so I'll be installing those this evening. If the concrete companies in our area have enough orders, they will be open tomorrow (Sat.) and I am going to try to pour then. If not, I am going to pour on Mon. I'll show some pics of the decking then.
Picture of the bonding at 1 of 4 points:
[attachment=2:2n7edm5z]pool build 20.jpeg[/attachment:2n7edm5z][attachment=1:2n7edm5z]Pool build 21.jpeg[/attachment:2n7edm5z][attachment=0:2n7edm5z]Pool build 22.jpeg[/attachment:2n7edm5z]

Attachments

• pool build 20.jpeg
    pool build 20.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 260
  • Pool build 21.jpeg
    Pool build 21.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 259
  • Pool build 22.jpeg
    Pool build 22.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 259
Well, have the concrete poured! I installed the Stegmeier Capstone Forms. However, I wish I would have poured the deck first. Stegmeier makes a clip lock form that snaps into the groove where the liner is to hold it. I built mine the opposite by getting the liner in already. So, I ended up using the gunite forms tied them as firmly to the liner as I could get it. While pouring and trowelling, I beat lightly around the forms to knock out any air pockets. It worked out perfect. Very little concrete got in the pool. Now, on to the ground leveling, fencing and landscaping! Here's a few more pics and a close up of the formed coping. Thanks everyone for following my 1 man build! More pics in the following weeks as the land gets transformed.[attachment=2:ialm7qbb]Pool build 23.jpeg[/attachment:ialm7qbb][attachment=1:ialm7qbb]Pool build 24.jpeg[/attachment:ialm7qbb][attachment=0:ialm7qbb]Pool build 25.jpeg[/attachment:ialm7qbb]

Attachments

• Pool build 23.jpeg
    Pool build 23.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Pool build 24.jpeg
    Pool build 24.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Pool build 25.jpeg
    Pool build 25.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 232
Well done! I'm picking away at my deck and surrounding area as well. Our plumber was finally able to get the heater hooked up so the pool is at 75 to 80 degrees now and I keep swimming in it instead of working on it. We've had 3 pool parties so far for the kid's friends and I still haven't finished the pavers. At least I got it to the point where the kids could get from the stairs to the diving board without walking through dirt so I don't have to vacuum as much.

You're brave. I don't want to post any pictures of mine before it looks finished!

By the way, one oversight on my part regarding the heater. I had the SWCG running to keep the FC levels just right but once I hooked up the heater and raised the pool temperature from 70 to 80 man did the algae take off! Add to that a little more organic loading from little things dropping off of the trees and I had 0 chlorine in the morning. I superchlorinated it and managed to get the level to come back so I think I caught it in time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.