Here we go!! DIY IG started SE Ohio

I need to get my own build thread going but I had no such luck getting everything stabilized with the braces and stakes. My site is all sand with a trace to no silt. I could push the stakes in by hand. The concrete collar locked it up pretty good though. Of course, the walls got pushed by the concrete because all of the stakes were worthless. I had to shovel out a few areas once the concrete began to set, shift the walls back, then shovel the concrete back into place and tamp it down. So much fun. Especially after having just shoveled it half way around the pool in the first place. I also had the joy of a blowout along one side of the hopper where a nice concrete flow had to be shoveled out. I'm back on track now and looking to be swimming by the weekend but I hope your soil is more cooperative!

By the way, on your walkout basement project, did you check to see how deep the footing was along that wall? If it is above frost depth and you have clay soils you could have a problem with heaving in the winter. You can put foam insulation board under the sidewalk extending out 3 or 4 feet to provide protection if it might be an issue.

Update! Been working feverishly on this. Pool is completely leveled to 1/8", concrete collar is poured and final shaping of the interior floor was just completed tonight. If the weather holds out, I may possibly put down the vermiculite and install the liner before the weekend![attachment=1:2bqqjfas]pool build 1.jpeg[/attachment:2bqqjfas][attachment=0:2bqqjfas]pool build 2.jpeg[/attachment:2bqqjfas]

Attachments

• pool build 1.jpeg
    pool build 1.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 293
  • pool build 2.jpeg
    pool build 2.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 292
After grabbing the mattock and swinging it for 7 hours into concrete hard clay, I finally have the side slopes shaped on the interior. The flat deep bottom now has what looks to be a half load of a dump truck of clay![attachment=2:21mb0pfr]pool build 3.jpeg[/attachment:21mb0pfr][attachment=1:21mb0pfr]pool build 4.jpeg[/attachment:21mb0pfr][attachment=0:21mb0pfr]pool build 5.jpeg[/attachment:21mb0pfr]

Attachments

• pool build 3.jpeg
    pool build 3.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 293
  • pool build 4.jpeg
    pool build 4.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 294
  • pool build 5.jpeg
    pool build 5.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 294
Diyindux, under the retaining wall is dug out 2 feet and poured with a footer. Behind the retaining wall is solid gravel. No dirt. Just on very top. Wall has full drains as well. I have the other side that has been done for a couple years that was built the same way and still looks like it was just installed. Good luck on your build, sorry to hear about the issues you have to deal with!

gmmastertech1 said:
Diyindux, under the retaining wall is dug out 2 feet and poured with a footer. Behind the retaining wall is solid gravel. No dirt. Just on very top. Wall has full drains as well. I have the other side that has been done for a couple years that was built the same way and still looks like it was just installed. Good luck on your build, sorry to hear about the issues you have to deal with!
I wasn't questioning the wall footing, I was wondering about the house footing. It may no longer extend below frost depth now that you have excavated to expose it. If it doesn't, some insulation board beneath adjacent sidewalk or patio areas might help keep the frost at bay. A little added insurance to make sure your house foundation doesn't heave. The soils in your picture are frost susceptible.

Thanks! You're not kidding! Stayed up until about 1:30am last night installing the coping, fittings, etc. Have a PB lined up and wants to do the vermiculite and liner today! Hope the weather holds out. Will post pics when I get home if they were able to get it.

Good call on having a PB do the pool base. I couldn't find anyone able to get to it until October so I did it myself using Perlite and cement. The mix acts like frosting more than concrete, and a pool bottom is one big cake. What a pain in the butt. For anyone planning to do a hard bottom by yourself, go with a darker liner with a busy pattern.

I hear ya! I can do anything that comes to building, repairing, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, etc. but I just felt better about a professional doing that part of my build. Post up a thread and show us some pics of your build diyindux! We love looking at pics! Sounds like you are progressing!

Hung the liner last night. Didn't vacuum it into place or anything, just hung it from the track. I started a build thread but it has no pictures with it yet. I definitely went a little light on the photos. I was too busy working. I needed to get the liner in before we got hit with the heavy rains on their way for the next few days. If the weather is right, I should just pour salt in it this afternoon so that I can fire up the pump on Saturday after the rain fills it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just received a text from my wife. She came home for lunch and they already had the liner in! She said it looked "Way too big". The PB is telling her they just need to adjust it? Also, they arrived at 8am with 60 bags of Pool-Krete. They had it mixed and trowelled down in 3 hours?! And they already installed the liner? I thought the vermiculite had to set up? Is it possible to install a liner that quick after laying the base?

Sounds about right. Poolcrete premix is about 2 cf per bag. With an 8 cf mixer, they can crank it out fast. If the crew knows what they are doing, it lays down quick and if it's mixed dry it will be skinned over enough in no time. The liner can be installed rolling it off a pipe that spans the pool so they don't need to walk on the fresh base. I mixed and placed most of mine by myself in a 4 cf mixer using cement and perlite. I think it took a total of 12 hours or so. That would be 4 hours for 3 people with basically no experience, so three hours for a crew that knows what they're doing sounds right.

doobs41378 said:
Nice looking liner if i do say so myself....
They are definitely different! But we love it. Not sure about everyone else in the country, but our summer here has been awful for water sports/swimming this year. Have probably only had 2 weeks of good hot weather. The rest has been in the 70's and lower 80's. However, it is perfect for working outdoors as you are not sweating too bad. Will be glad that it will be done and all ready for next summer and many more after that!

Still have a long way to go, but this is why we do what we do! Pool was just starting to cover the bottom of the shallow ends and out came my 5 year old boy and his friend![attachment=0:m5dphb8o]Pool build 9.jpeg[/attachment:m5dphb8o]

Attachments

• Pool build 9.jpeg
    Pool build 9.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Pool build 9.jpeg
    Pool build 9.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Pool build 9.jpeg
    Pool build 9.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 164

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.