Helping neighbor out with cloudy pool after big weekend

pH test is effected by FC over 10 ppm. Others are not effected. Salt can be added now.
Ok perfect and how about adding CYA conditioner I would imagine that needs to wait until we get to 10ppm or less correct? At what point should he turn on the Salt Water Generator @ 5ppm ? Or ? Thanks again!

You can add CYA.
Start SWCG too. Target 5 ppm per day and test daily to adjust as needed.
How about adjusting PH? Can that happen now as well or wait until under 10?

NEVER MIND you answered this already ...sorry about that.

Last edited:
When things settle, I’d run FC on the high side of target. At least to start with. No need to flirt with FC minimum.
What PPM is considered on the high side of FC? like 5ppm or 8ppm etc..? Thanks! Also, just curious why? The other question is at what FC PPM become bad to swim in or discolor swimsuits?

Many target 10% of CYA for daily maintenance.
SLAM level FC is safe for swimming, equipment, etc.
So your saying if his CYA is now at 70 because we added Instant Conditioner, then his Free Chlorine should be 7? Also, what should the Chlorine test kit read that reads simple Chlorine up to 4ppm? Is that considered Total chlorine levels or ? Thanks!

Use the chart referred to earlier I believe, use the SWG chart if you have the salt level up and the SWG is working. Use pool math (with his model of SWG) and it should tell you what percent to set it at for the ppm you are losing daily. You should use the FAS/DPD CL test and use the 10ml sample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mihzyd777

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok tested his water earlier and CYA at 60, TA a little high at 90, and FC at 13ppm. I figure once we get to below FC 10ppm and adjust PH down to 7.2 that should help bring down TA to 70 or 80. I had him turn on his SWG to 35% and continue running pump 24/7 until we bring PH down and everything is in sync. I imagine FC should be at 10 ppm or less tomorrow afternoon at which time we will pour in some Muriatic acid as needed.

Is this correct?

Thanks again for all the help....he mentioned today his pool looks the nicest it ever since he has built it last year lol.

Last question on this regarding readings we took this morning:

PH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 60
FC using 25ml = 10.8 actually climbed a little from 10.6 have Salt Chlorinator at 35%
Pump runs from 12midnight until 3:50pm due to peak power time running from 4-9pm

So quick question, is it ok to go swimming in the pool at these numbers? They are afraid 10ppm is really high.

Thanks!

Last question on this regarding readings we took this morning:

PH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 60
FC using 25ml = 10.8 actually climbed a little from 10.6 have Salt Chlorinator at 35%
Pump runs from 12midnight until 3:50pm due to peak power time running from 4-9pm

So quick question, is it ok to go swimming in the pool at these numbers? They are afraid 10ppm is really high.

Thanks!
Swim away!!! Safe to swim up to SLAM level.

Reactions: jeffchap
I was swimming in 32 ppm earlier this year during a SLAM (CYA was 80). You could not tell any difference. FC must be considered in relation to CYA. By itself it's meaningless. This is what the pool stores don't get.

Reactions: Katygreys
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.