Helping neighbor out with cloudy pool after big weekend

For good reason, folks here put near-zero stock in PS results. I understand the feeling that sometimes I need to validate my readings. I used to do that. But I stopped doing it when I realized that it was a fools errand. The PS results were al over the place. Now if I question my Results, I just repeat them. Posting PS results here, particularly when mixed with K2006 results, will just have everyone running around in circles. In any case, I’d suggest to only post results from your kit; hopefully we can return to the task of offering excellent advice.
Thanks for the explanation. I did compare my results with PS and they were the same and I tested at home twice. Question though on the SLAM method, I noticed there are 3 options to select, Salt chlorinator, Liquid Chlorine and SLAM....so just I just go off the SLAM chlorine levels and 15ppm with a CYA of 45 is not bad? Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. I did compare my results with PS and they were the same and I tested at home twice. Question though on the SLAM method, I noticed there are 3 options to select, Salt chlorinator, Liquid Chlorine and SLAM....so just I just go off the SLAM chlorine levels and 15ppm with a CYA of 45 is not bad? Thanks
ok, first, we recommend to report CYA in increments of 10, as seen on the test vial. The CYA scale is logarithmic, So it is not straightforward to interpret a reading between, say, 40and 50. If your reading is between 40 and 50, then simply round up and report it as 50. Then, use the FC/CYA chart to determine your chlorine amount for daily use or slam based on the higher number of 50. Rounding CYA up also results in you using higher chlorine amounts for daily use and slam. And, with chlorine, it’s typically to err on the side of using a bit more. We are trying to prevent or kill algae/organics.

So In your case, your reading is between 40 and 50, so consider it 50. Chart says slam level for a CYA of 50 is 20ppm chlorine.

027181BA-8759-41B0-9CE4-22670AD1B7C0.jpeg

ok, first, we recommend to report CYA in increments of 10, as seen on the test vial. The CYA scale is logarithmic, So it is not straightforward to interpret a reading between, say, 40and 50. If your reading is between 40 and 50, then simply round up and report it as 50. Then, use the FC/CYA chart to determine your chlorine amount for daily use or slam based on the higher number of 50. Rounding CYA up also results in you using higher chlorine amounts for daily use and slam. And, with chlorine, it’s typically to err on the side of using a bit more. We are trying to prevent or kill algae/organics.

So In your case, your reading is between 40 and 50, so consider it 50. Chart says slam level for a CYA of 50 is 20ppm chlorine.

View attachment 439169
And at 20ppm ok to swim tmrw and it won't hurt pool or equipment?

And at 20ppm ok to swim tmrw and it won't hurt pool or equipment?
As long as you do not exceed your assigned SLAM FC level (based on the current CYA) it is safe to swim and won't hurt any equipment.

Ok just testing his pool with my Taylor kit 😁. Did a Fas-DPD test and the numbers are:

Free Chlorine= 9.6ppm

Combined Chlorine= 0.4ppm

So when slamming is it the FC that I need to maintain at 20ppm until clear? Just want to be sure.

Thanks

Ok tested cya today and shows 50 not sure how accurate because does the SLAM throw that off as well? We are on day 3 of the SLAM still a little cloudy but slowly working and looking better. He is running pump 24/7 and cleaned it yesterday.
When all this is done and back to normal, for a salt water pool CYA should be between 60-80 ppm correct? Thanks again for the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
he dropped his PH way too low 2 days ago to around 6.2 so we raised it with baking soda to 7.2. Then checked TA which is at 70. I add 1.5 gallons of liquid chlorine after PH got to 7.2. This morning checked again, Chlorine at 5ppm and PH @ 7.5.
This ship has already sailed but you do not adjust pH with baking soda.

Lower pH - use muriatic acid....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH

You are where you are so time to go forward. Accurate testing is the key to making TFP work.

This ship has already sailed but you do not adjust pH with baking soda.

Lower pH - use muriatic acid....TA also comes down
Raise pH - use borax.....it has little effect on TA.
Lower TA - acid and aeration method....see Pool School
Raise TA - use baking soda....it has little affect on pH

You are where you are so time to go forward. Accurate testing is the key to making TFP work.
oh good to know, thank you so much for that I actually forgot about all this as I haven't done this in a long while. So IF the TA did go up how will it affect the SLAM ? Should we do more than the 20ppm chlorine we are currently doing for a 50ppm TA?
Also, we we did use baking soda PH went from about 6.4 to 7.2 overnight without issue.

Last edited:
Question to all, as part of the 3 criterias that need to be met for SLAM to be considered DONE, how clear are we talking on the water, like clear clear and nothing wrong, or just a huge improvement clear compared to when it was really cloudy and you could not see the bottom?

Question to all, as part of the 3 criterias that need to be met for SLAM to be considered DONE, how clear are we talking on the water, like clear clear and nothing wrong, or just a huge improvement clear compared to when it was really cloudy and you could not see the bottom?
Ok Scratch the above.....just came back from his house and the pool looks GREAT at day 5! Nice and clear! So tonight we'll perform the Overnight FC Loss test correct and if all looks good in the morning the plan will be to let the chlorine levels come back to normal ranges, once at normal range then adjust CYA, add Salt as needed, and check TA and adjust this and PH as needed. Sound correct? Thank you again for all the help everyone!

Good morning all. Ok here is the latest update. We performed a Overnight FC Loss Test last night. I went over there at 8:30pm and FC was 17.4 then this morning at 1:20am my neighbor tested it before going to work and it was 16.2 barely over the required 1 ppm or less. So question is, is this close enough to be considered DONE or what should be done? Thanks!

Close but no cigar! Sorry to be a stickler but that's what makes our procedures so effective........careful and precise testing.

You are almost home. Hold your SLAM value one more day and then perform OCLT again. You will likely pass with flying colors and that will end the SLAM

It's smart to run SLAM another day or two even after passing OLCT for a nice insurance policy. FC usage is typically much lower at end of SLAM, so it doesn't cost much other than a few more minutes of time.

Thanks for the info all. So today we are done with the SLAM everything passed but we put in the last half gallon of Chlorine he had to be sure :) So my question is now, do we need to wait until Chlorine PPM is at 4 or less to get accurate testing for PH, Alkalinity, CYA etc. ? So we don't add incorrect amounts of chemicals ? Also, what about adding more salt, can he do that now since he is a little low? Or should he wait until things are leveled out. I would imagine he can do that now but want to be sure. I told him to keep his Salt water Chlorinator OFF until Chlorine levels get to a normal level. Is that ok as well? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.