Help with Spa Startup

@phonedave -

Thanks for the suggestion of pre pouring.

I use those in the shop as well. For testing I fill up a generic squeeze bottle. Fill it up at the pool or spa and use it to fill up the test tubes. Super convenient, since you can squirt the exact amount you need in test tube.

I was thinking of using some of these small 4 oz bottles, pouring in 2-3 ounces of chlorine. 2-3 bottles prepped for busy weekends when kids come home and having them just pour in when they are done.

Appreciate the tip.

I like that idea of pre-measured doses. Just be sure to keep them in a dark place if the bottles are not opaque.

My kids are old enough that they can measure 2oz of bleach on their own, but if I had a hot tub when they were younger it could have been a handy idea.

I like that idea of pre-measured doses. Just be sure to keep them in a dark place if the bottles are not opaque.

My kids are old enough that they can measure 2oz of bleach on their own, but if I had a hot tub when they were younger it could have been a handy idea.
One of my friends accidentally drank bleach when he was little.
Someone had poured it in a cup in preparation to use it for cleaning something. In another instance many years later, my nephew (who was a teenager) got a swig of roundup, luckily he spit it out quickly. My dad had poured a small amount from a much larger container into an old tea bottle & put it on the shelf in the shop. It was marked as poison & the original label was removed but my nephew had been drinking from a bottle exactly like it which he had placed on another shelf earlier.
For these reasons I never store bleach (or any other chemical) in an inappropriate container that doesn’t have a safety cap & is clearly marked. Weird Accidents can & do happen, obviously the cup thing was quite negligent but nonetheless appropriate containers for chems are important. The little “flasks” with childproof vented lids are the most ideal if not using an originally designed container for chems. Many chemicals already come in those anyway. Most have the easy measure feature for an ounce or two also.

One of my friends accidentally drank bleach when he was little.
Someone had poured it in a cup in preparation to use it for cleaning something. In another instance many years later, my nephew (who was a teenager) got a swig of roundup, luckily he spit it out quickly. My dad had poured a small amount from a much larger container into an old tea bottle & put it on the shelf in the shop. It was marked as poison & the original label was removed but my nephew had been drinking from a bottle exactly like it which he had placed on another shelf earlier.
For these reasons I never store bleach (or any other chemical) in an inappropriate container that doesn’t have a safety cap & is clearly marked. Weird Accidents can & do happen, obviously the cup thing was quite negligent but nonetheless appropriate containers for chems are important. The little “flasks” with childproof vented lids are the most ideal if not using an originally designed container for chems. Many chemicals already come in those anyway. Most have the easy measure feature for an ounce or two also.
That is a good point.

I use the open cup but it is only while my wife and I using the tub and the two kids that still at home are 18 and 25. I really hope they are not drinking bleach.

I was thinking more for like 14 year olds, who may not be the most adept at pouring bleach, somebody could do what you said. Pre measure little childproof bottles would be handy.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.