Help with Long-Term pH and Calcium Hardness Management

Another option for running the soft water line is to look for any indoor plumbing that is on an exterior (or close to exterior) wall near to your present autofill connection - and then add a pipe from inside to outside thru the wall. Of course, a backflow preventer is still required.

Many ways to make this work.

Reactions: Dirk
Another option for running the soft water line is to look for any indoor plumbing that is on an exterior (or close to exterior) wall near to your present autofill connection - and then add a pipe from inside to outside thru the wall. Of course, a backflow preventer is still required.

Many ways to make this work.
Think like water, grasshopper! If you've got a kitchen or bathroom sink, or washing machine, on an exterior wall, you're golden. That's the easiest scenario, because you don't have to go into the attic or crawlspace. And while you'll need to open up some sheetrock to make the connection, you don't have to be particularly skilled at patching the wall back up, because it'll be entirely hidden from view!

And you can get a little creative if you have to. I wanted my kitchen sink's RO water to feed my ice maker. I didn't want to use the valve the builder had installed behind the fridge (non RO water). So I ran a 1/4" line from under the sink, behind the kitchen drawers, and out the side of the cabinet next to the fridge to feed the ice maker. I didn't bother to make that a "code compliant" run, but I could have.

Think like water, grasshopper. There's more than one way to skin this cat!! (Mixed metaphors aside.)

Reactions: proavia
Softener

My setup is near-identical to what Gene describes. My pool's auto-filler was plumbed to the landscape circuit, separate and before the indoor soft water circuit. I found a soft water line in the attic and ran it to where I needed, except I ran it down inside an exterior wall and then poked it out through the stucco (but Gene's MO is perfectly fine, too). I added a hose bib, for washing the car or solar panels. I added a proper backflow preventer. I left the original hard water source attached, and through a couple of valves I can choose hard or soft water (or mix them). I did this for a couple reasons, but primarily so that I could shut off my indoor circuit while away and still get water to the pool (though I've never used it because I don't travel much in the summer, I stay home and enjoy my pool).

I get that you don't want to dig up your yard. But for me, I did what I had to do and would again, even if it meant tearing out plants. Plants grow back, ruined plaster does not. The convenience alone was worth the trouble, and I had more than a little in the installation. I'm in my forever home, and the mods I describe in this post, while labor intensive, will provide benefits for the next several decades. That's how I look at it, anyway.

I bought a Whirlpool softener from Lowes. There are better ones, but mine had worked great. Not only did it solve my CH issue, but my whole house has thanked me! I also installed a Whirlpool whole-house water filter, and that has helped with the nasty water taste. I only drink water from the kitchen sink, which has an under-counter RO filter. I digress. My toilets look better. My shower glass. Lathering up is luxurious. I use less laundry soap. My shower heads and faucets look (and work!) like new, etc, etc.

Here's how I did it. This is in the middle of a very long thread, when I first came on board here, in which I was learning how to take care of my pool and deal with the hard water. But this is the section about adding the softener line: #76.

IntellipH

Shortish version: The IntellipH (IpH) is a companion to the IntelliChlor (IC) and requires its presence. It uses the IC's temperature and flow sensors and uses its power supply. The IC plugs into the IpH, and the IpH then plugs into where the IC was plugged in. The IpH then controls the IC. That's why when the IC stops producing in the winter, so does the IpH.

Inside the IpH controller is a plastic connector that routes the power that was originally going directly to the IC through the IpH's circuit board. This connector is underrated, and sometimes cannot handle the current draw of the IC (especially the bigger IC60), and when the connector's pins start to get a little corroded, they build up heat and eventually melt the connector, severing the power to the IC and sometimes the IpH, too. I kid you not. Pentair has known about this issue for years, could easily fix it, but hasn't yet (as far as I know). They tell people not to use the IpH with an IC60, though we know for a fact that the problem sometimes happens with an IC40. Instead, they just replace the controller under warranty.

The fix is simple, and has been verified sound by many of us here. But it'll likely void your warranty. So I always recommend not doing anything during the warranty period. Let Pentair fix it. Then on day one past the warranty's expiration, apply the fix. It's basically just wire-nutting some wires together inside the controller. Easy. You can wait until it melts and then fix it, or you can apply the same fix ahead of time and avoid the melting problem altogether.

It's not a guarantee this problem will happen to you. It probably doesn't happen to most, which is why Pentair doesn't fix it I guess. So I don't want to scare you off from an IpH. I LOVE mine and wouldn't own a pool without it. But the problem might occur, and you can fix it after it does, or before it happens. We have seen a few instances where the melt down fries the IpH circuit board, and then that requires a new board (not cheap). So if it were me, I'd apply the fix after the warranty expires and before it melts.

The other issue that I didn't like is losing the acid dispensing in the winter. So I devised a circuit that runs the IpH/IC combo normally in the summer, but bypasses the IC in the winter and allows the IpH to run year-round. It's not for the feint of heart, and will void your warranty for the IpH and your automation controller (if you have one). I waited until all my warranties expired, then installed the circuit. It's been working great. It's just some parts from Amazon and a soldering iron.

Whew, still with me? Some of us here have bypassed the IpH controller altogether and just run their IpH without it, using the scheduling circuits of their pool automation controller. That solves both the issues I describe above, but then you'd lose some of the great features (including great safety features) that Pentair devised for the IpH/IC combo. In terms of difficulty, this hack lies between the two I describe above. But if you're interested in any of these "fixes," we'll walk you through them step by step.

Here's a thread I wrote that you might find interesting. In addition to the winter wiring hack, it describes how I fixed my melted connector. That was before some others here came up with a much simpler method, which I describe at the end of this same thread:

If you make it even part way through either of the threads I just gave you (or even this post!), you'll realize instantly just who you've been conversing with, and may choose to stop! 🤪 No hard feelings!
Dirk,
Thanks for the detailed response. You and the other have convinced me. Intelliph ordered. I will soldier the red and black leads to avoid future problems with the plug, but will not try your Frankenstein approach to cold water acid injection. Our water here is only below 58 degrees for about 10 weeks. I can add acid by hand during December - February. I will also add a water softener.

Thanks to all who contributed!

Let me know when the IpH shows up and I'll share a couple installation tips, if you're interested...
Picked it up today. TS Pool Supply in Phoenix advertises that they will match or beat any price on the internet. I gave their challenge a try and they did beat the lowest price I could find. Your installation tips would be greatly appreciated. My control panel is the EasyTouch 4 which has the integrated control and transformer for the SWG housed in the unit. I have reviewed the instructions and find the connections to be relatively fool-proof. I do have two questions already.
  1. The way my SWG is plumbed in the system there is no way to place the acid injection port before the SWG without also being before the skimmer and aeration lines (but after the filter). Would that be acceptable? Alternatively, I have room to locate the injector immediately after the SWG. Don't know if that is advisable?
  2. Presently, I control the SWG through the EasyTouch INTELLICHLOR menu. Will that remain the same after installing the IntellipH and connecting the SWG to the IntellipH? Or do I need to reconfigure something in the settings menu?
Thank you!

The way my SWG is plumbed in the system there is no way to place the acid injection port before the SWG without also being before the skimmer and aeration lines (but after the filter). Would that be acceptable? Alternatively, I have room to locate the injector immediately after the SWG. Don't know if that is advisable?

My understanding was always that the acid injection should be after the SWG. But a potential inline pH-Sensor should be placed before the SWG.

Here is an example setup from the AstralPool eQ SWG manual that shows the pH-Sensor before the SWG and acid injection after. By placing the injection on the vertical pipe after any of the equipment it is ensured that even with the pump off any leaking acid (that has higher density than water) would flow away from the SWG and other parts like the heater by gravity assist.

Screenshot_20240127-104528.png

1. The way my SWG is plumbed in the system there is no way to place the acid injection port before the SWG without also being before the skimmer and aeration lines (but after the filter). Would that be acceptable? Alternatively, I have room to locate the injector immediately after the SWG. Don't know if that is advisable?
The Pentair manual says before the SWG. It shouldn't be before anything else. There's been discussion here on the forum between members, including one of our mad chemists, who advise putting it after the SWG. I don't know why Pentair wants it before. The gist of putting it after is: acid is not good for the expensive coatings on the plates inside the SWG. It is damage to, or the wearing off of, these coatings that determines the SWG's end-of-life. Mine is before, but I trust our mad chemist. I think after the SWG would be OK.

1. Presently, I control the SWG through the EasyTouch INTELLICHLOR menu. Will that remain the same after installing the IntellipH and connecting the SWG to the IntellipH? Or do I need to reconfigure something in the settings menu?
I don't think any reconfiguring of the ET's settings will be necessary. The IpH can control all the functions of the IC, but if a Pentair pool automation system is present (such as the ET), then the IpH will leave that "relationship" alone. So control of the IC will remain with the ET. Except...

One of the great features of the combo is the IpH will shut down the IC as it dispenses acid. This is to keep acid and chlorine gas from mixing together in the plumbing on their way to the pool (a somewhat dangerous combo). Once complete, the IpH will restore control of the IC to the ET.

Also, the IpH controller monitors the IC's flow sensor and temperature sensor. If either is not "in the green" for acid injection, the IpH won't dispense. These are the great safety features of the combo that are difficult to create if you use other brands of acid dispensers. You've made a good choice.

Unfortunately, it is this same "symbiotic relationship" between the two that shuts down the IpH in the winter when the IC shuts down due to cold water. But you've got a handle on that. Acid consumption seems to go down in the winter, so dispensing acid and liquid chlorine for a few months is not that much of a chore. You'll likely find that once a week is enough for both. I only dispense liquid chlorine once a week in the winter, but my IpH works year-round. I seem to recall, before the mod I did, I only dosed acid once a week, too.

You'll also be disappointed to discover that the ET does not interface with the IpH. You have to configure the IpH from its controller, out at the pad. This is a bummer, and I suspect Pentair made this engineering decision so as not to interfere with sales of their much more expensive IntelliChem system. Because if the IpH and the IC and ET all worked together through the ET interface, there'd really be no reason to buy an IntelliChem. But the IpH requires very little adjustment once you dial it in, so this is really no big deal.

Installation

As you've figured out, the installation is pretty simple. I used a PVC tee fitting for the injector, but the saddle clamp they provide is fine, too. I bolted my IpH tank to the pad. I would recommend doing that if you can swing it. It is a tank full of acid, after all, and you don't want pets or kids or earthquakes tipping it over.

Location is the biggest issue. You need it near the pad, for all the connections, but as far away as you can get it. The tank is sealed with an o-ring (another great feature), but it's a tank full of acid, acid that will eat away at anything metal. Like your stainless steel fitting on your filter, or your heater, or your ET, etc. Mine is very close to my heater, because I didn't have any other place for it. So far, I don't see any wild corrosion, but if you can keep it a few feet away from everything, then that's best. Which leads me to the tip I most wanted to share.

You'll see that the tank has two ports. One connects to the pump, the other is the vent. Some users neglect or misunderstand this vent. Because the tank is so well sealed, it has to have a vent, to breath. As the acid is consumed, or as the ambient temperature heats and cools the air in the tank, it's gotta move air around somewhat. That's what the vent is for. But if not installed correctly, that vent will pump acid fumes all over your yard and pool pad. So you'll find in the parts a long black tube. Some of that is for the injector, the rest is for the vent. Connect one end to the vent, and then run the other end as far away from everything as possible. Not just stuff on the pad, but everything in your yard: downspouts, metal window frames, gate hinges, etc. Run the tube downhill, and then point the end into the dirt (not buried, just above the dirt but pointing at the dirt). That way, any condensation in the tube will not get trapped in the tube, and no rain or irrigation water will find its way in.

Finally, don't cross the streams! I swapped the in and out of the pump connections, because it's not intuitive which is which. It took me a while to figure out why my brand new IpH wasn't working!! Pay attention to the directions and the markings on the pump and you'll be fine.

Oops, one more. The injector is just plastic, as are its threads. Try to place it such that it won't get kicked easily. I imagine with not too much force it would snap right off.

Congrats on the purchase!

Last edited:
I am clearly of the same option as our mad chemist.

I reckon that manufacturers like Pentair don't see an issue with getting acid through the SWG, they even recommend to do this regularly to remove scale. From their point of view injecting acid before the cell is probably seen as beneficial to keep scale away.

But with the same mindset that we don't recommend using muriatic acid to remove scale from SWG plates, even though recommended by pretty much all manufacturers, I would also not recommend to inject acid before a SWG.

Reactions: proavia and Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.