Help with Hayward H400IDL IF code

fabric8

May 4, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
I tried to fire up our pool heater the other day and it results in an IF code. It's the natural gas (not propane version). I'm doing my best to follow post #12 from this thread

So far, I've checked all the orifices and they are clear. I am not clearly following #2. When I remove the top cover, I see the blower fan. I removed the blower fan and the panel assemblies it rests on, and can now see the heat exchanger. Is that also referred to as the heater core on this pic?
heat-exchanger.jpg

Should I be able to see the glowing igntor through those heat exchanger fins? In anycase, I removed the ignitor and set it aside. I then turned off the gas, then turned on the heater, watched it glow bright orange, then turned off the heater.. As you can see from this video, it glows bright orange:

YouTube video

Does that appear to be bright enough to ignite the gas? I took an ohm reading on the ignitor and it reads 235ohms.

I also inspected the flame sensor. It looked OK but I lightly sanded it with 600 grit sandpaper as well.

I just don't hear the whoosh sound and am wondering if the gas valve is opening and letting the gas flow. Is there a way to check the operation of the gas valve?

What else can I check fpr to figure out this IF code? TIA!

Last edited:
I tried to fire up our pool heater the other day and it results in an IF code. It's the natural gas (not propane version). I'm doing my best to follow post #12 from this thread

So far, I've checked all the orifices and they are clear. I am not clearly following #2. When I remove the top cover, I see the blower fan. I removed the blower fan and the panel assemblies it rests on, and can now see the heat exchanger. Is that also referred to as the heater core on this pic?
View attachment 495783

Should I be able to see the glowing igntor through those heat exchanger fins? In anycase, I removed the ignitor and set it aside. I then turned off the gas, then turned on the heater, watched it glow bright orange, then turned off the heater.. As you can see from this video, it glows bright orange:

YouTube video

Does that appear to be bright enough to ignite the gas? I took an ohm reading on the ignitor and it reads 235ohms.

I also inspected the flame sensor. It looked OK but I lightly sanded it with 600 grit sandpaper as well.

I just don't hear the whoosh sound and am wondering if the gas valve is opening and letting the gas flow. Is there a way to check the operation of the gas valve?

What else can I check fpr to figure out this IF code? TIA!
Check for 24V at the main gas valve. At the very least, you should hear the valve "click" open after the ignitor has been on for a few seconds. If there is 24V and no click the valve is bad. If there is a sound, you would need a manometer to check gas pressure into and out of the valve. Be sure the gas valve has its knob in the "On" position. Be sure any manual gas cock in the gas line is open (handle in line with the pipe).

Thank YOU!!!!! So I connected a voltmeter to the terminals at the gas valve. I had to pull the connectors out just a bit so my alligator clips would make contact with the terminals. I turned on the heater, waited a few seconds then saw 24v on the voltmeter, and I suddenly heard the wooosh and the burners ignited! Whoohoo! I suspect that the connectors weren't making good contact with the terminals and that had been preventing the gas valve from opening.

2 days of trouble-shooting and your suggestion got my heater back up and running again. I ended up completely disconnecting the 2 connectors and lightly sanded the terminals of the gas valve and re-connected them and it's still working like a champ now. Much appreciated sir! The wife and kid will be happy to have a warm pool to swim in. And my wallet is even happier :D

Reactions: mknauss
And my wallet is even happier
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.