Help with Electrical Wiring for new Stenner Pump, wiring gurus?

jesse-99

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2021
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello. I purchased a Stenner Pump (220V) and Tank for dosing MA. The pump comes with a power cord that is a NEMA 6-15P. I plan on cutting off the NEMA 6-15P plug itself because I want the Stenner Pump powered ONLY when the Main Filter Pump is running.

Once I cut the NEMA 6-15P plug off, there will be *3* wires in the wiring that I need to hook up. On the Main Filter Pump Relay itself, pins 1 and 3 go to the breaker, and pins 2 and 4 are used to power my current filter pump.

Questions...
1. Which color wire of the 3 wires from the Stenner Pump plug goes to Relay pin #2
2. Which color wire of the 3 wires from the Stenner Pump plug goes to Relay pin #4
3. Which color wire of the 3 wires from the Stenner Pump plug goes to Ground?
4. I'm assuming the amperage draw on these little Stenner Pumps is super small (in comparison to the filter pump) so I don't think the additional draw with the Stenner Pump running would risk tripping my relay?

I think wiring as stated above, will ONLY allow the Stenner Pump to run *IF* the relay is ON for the Main Filter Pump. As soon the the relay goes off the Stenner Pump would no longer have power and therefore it won't dose MA at that time.

ATTACHED is a small snippet of my wiring diagram relating to this specific area in question:

Thanks! (I'm aware of discussions of monitoring FLOW for this relating to powering the pump may be preferred, but I'm asking to please disregard that, as I want to focus instead on the questions above - as I won't be monitoring flow, at least not right now).

Attachments

• 1679424785084.jpeg
    1679424785084.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 14
Hello. I purchased a Stenner Pump (220V) and Tank for dosing MA. The pump comes with a power cord that is a NEMA 6-15P. I plan on cutting off the NEMA 6-15P plug itself because I want the Stenner Pump powered ONLY when the Main Filter Pump is running.

Once I cut the NEMA 6-15P plug off, there will be *3* wires in the wiring that I need to hook up. On the Main Filter Pump Relay itself, pins 1 and 3 go to the breaker, and pins 2 and 4 are used to power my current filter pump.

Questions...
1. Which color wire of the 3 wires from the Stenner Pump plug goes to Relay pin #2
2. Which color wire of the 3 wires from the Stenner Pump plug goes to Relay pin #4
3. Which color wire of the 3 wires from the Stenner Pump plug goes to Ground?
4. I'm assuming the amperage draw on these little Stenner Pumps is super small (in comparison to the filter pump) so I don't think the additional draw with the Stenner Pump running would risk tripping my relay?

I think wiring as stated above, will ONLY allow the Stenner Pump to run *IF* the relay is ON for the Main Filter Pump. As soon the the relay goes off the Stenner Pump would no longer have power and therefore it won't dose MA at that time.

ATTACHED is a small snippet of my wiring diagram relating to this specific area in question:

Thanks! (I'm aware of discussions of monitoring FLOW for this relating to powering the pump may be preferred, but I'm asking to please disregard that, as I want to focus instead on the questions above - as I won't be monitoring flow, at least not right now).
Green to ground. Either of the other wires to either of the terminals 2 and 4, doesn't matter which if this is a 240v Stenner.

Reactions: jesse-99
Poolman is correct, however, I suggest you don't cut the plug off, but instead get a female cord end or receptacle and wire it to the relay. With Stenner once you cut the plug off you void the warranty. While not a huge issue as the Stenner pumps are very reliable, I prefer to maintain the warranty as long as possible.

Poolman is correct, however, I suggest you don't cut the plug off, but instead get a female cord end or receptacle and wire it to the relay. With Stenner once you cut the plug off you void the warranty. While not a huge issue as the Stenner pumps are very reliable, I prefer to maintain the warranty as long as possible.

Good idea! Thanks to both of you .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.