Help with calcium chloride residue.

rbrand1003

May 17, 2023
Champaign, Il
I hired a pool company for weekly maintenance. I have a 10500 fiberglass pool and caught him adding 5 scoops (I don't know how big the scoop was) of calcium up to my pool. He added that at the same time as soda ash to increase the Ph and cal hypo 73%.

Now I have a white powder on the bottom of my pool that will not go away. It has been 5 days since he dumped that mess into my pool. My chems were balanced. There was no reason for him to add the calcium or the ph adjustment. Now my ph is too high, the calcium chloride ate all the cal hypo and left my FC at .6. I added 2 gal of liquid chlorine to overcome the CC of 5.2.

Today's chemistry was
FC = 15+ (pool store test only goes to 15 and I ran out of reagent at around 17)
TC = 15+ (same as above)
Ph= 8.1
CH = 284
TA = 131

Water is clear when the residue is settled to the bottom. But when it gets agitated the water is milky and you can see suspended particulate. Furthermore, the water inside my filter is also milky/chalky and I've never seen that before. I need help on what to do. The pool company that I hired has ghosted me. This is my first full summer with this pool. How do I get this residue out of my pool?

Welcome to TFP!!! :swim:

Reducing the pH (with muriatic acid) and filtration should clear the cloudiness with time.

Combining calcium additions and PH increases tends to lead to calcium clouding.

You don't want to do anything that raises the PH for 24 hours after adding calcium. So no borax, PH Up, soda ash, washing soda, baking soda, cal-hypo, or bleach for 24 hours after adding calcium.

While using a pool guy seems like they'd be good at this, the truth of the matter is they *often* cause problems. Even if you continue to use one, I would suggest you obtain one of the test kits we endorse so you'll be able to monitor your water quality after they do their damage work.
Test Kits Compared

Keep brushing the pool and get that powder into circulation so it can either dissolve or get caught in the filter.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.