Acworth, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Yes, I have some color issues. 🙂 The Taylor comparator looks to me like PH is just under 8.0. The TF one looks like it’s not close to any of the colors. Lol! Can someone with normal vision help a brotha out?
IMG_7517.jpegIMG_7518.jpeg

Looks like you're somewhere above 7.8 but the lighting and background make it tricky. Cameras also do all sorts of computational photography that skews the image.

I find that I can see my comparator over my kitchen sink with the light directly above against white cabinets really well.

It also seems to help to look at the sample and the two blocks, then actively try to not look "too hard!"

Reactions: cwswifty
7.8 - 8.0 is certainly close enough for swimming pool puposes.

A Good rule is keep it in the 7"s which you have done........... barely, but is still OK!

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....

yellow 6.8 and lower
yellow orange 7.0
orange 7.2
orange red 7.4-7.5
red 7.6-7.8
red violet 8.0
violet 8.2 and higher

Reactions: cwswifty
Two additional techniques:

1. Try holding the block sideways or upside down. Sometimes that helps distinguish colors better. I also use two old hotel keycards to mask off areas and narrow down my decision.

2. To get a consistent backlight, hold the block in front of your computer monitor with a blank white screen displayed (I use Google's homepage).

Reactions: Newdude
Two additional techniques:

1. Try holding the block sideways or upside down. Sometimes that helps distinguish colors better. I also use two old hotel keycards to mask off areas and narrow down my decision.

2. To get a consistent backlight, hold the block in front of your computer monitor with a blank white screen displayed (I use Google's homepage).
Thanks pjt. BTW, I have lots of family in the Woodlands area!

Reactions: pjt
TFP is all about keeping things simple.

I see no reason to go through a dozen gyrations to get a pH result when a VERY simple observation of the color is sufficient.

Review the written colors posted above and the result seems very simple to me

1. Sample is NOT yellow or Violet

2. Sample has no hue of any orange

3. Sample is also not red.

You have eliminated all the colors it is not so the ONLY logical answer is it is Red-Violet and that is what it is.

Let's not make this simple test complicated.