Help on fixing my pool pump/piping and adding a threaded shaft??? Flooded yard today.

Also, I just saw the original thread you created when it started leaking. The advice in that thread is incorrect. You do not glue the union to the pump. The connector from the union kit is secured to the pump with the nut. With a properly lubricated o-ring, it will not leak. Earlier in this thread you said that your neighbor tightened the nut until it became loose again, it's quite possible the notches on the pump housing are now damaged. If that is the case and it won't secure with a factory union kit, you need a new pump housing.

No, the notches are fine. I didn't understand how it went on. The order. I found manual that shows that. Now I know.
manual%20Hayward_zpskkdyrlwj.png

It wasn't on there correctly before. That's why it came apart. It got over heated because the pump didn't prime when the new motor was installed and that's what I believe caused it to melt and I did not know it than.

You have me paranoid. I went out and looked at it. The notches on the pump are fine. If it had blow up or gotten that hot than, yeah there was a huge problem in the filter, obstruction or something. That isn't the case. Quit trying to borrow additional trouble for me!!:stirpot: All is good.:party:

I feel like this thread won't end until you get the answer you want (which in my opinion is the wrong answer), so I'm going to try one more time and then go on my way.

Multiple people have explained what you need to replace the broken union. You need a new union kit, a piece of pvc pipe, a coupler, and pvc glue.

The union pipe on your pump broke for whatever reason (that's a whole different subject and probably needs to be addressed first). The part circled in green in the picture below is still glued to the pipe hanging above your pump in the original picture (now deleted) and needs to be cut off. The part circled in red was either still under the nut or it was blown out to wherever. If the 4 tabs on your pump housing are not damaged, you simply install the new union kit and connect it to the old pipe with a coupler. The part circled in yellow is nothing more than a fancy proprietary "nut" that tightens over the notches on the pump housing. If you are easily able to turn that nut past the notches so that it becomes loose again, then your pump housing is damaged and you need a new housing or pump.

Lastly, that pump is very close to your pool and the people enjoying your pool. You should never try to mickey-mouse a repair on your pump and that goes double for the pressurized side of your pump. Those metal c-clamps could easily become projectiles if that union gives way at the wrong time. The same thing for the plastic bits that explode because you have tried to create threads in the pump housing. The new union kit probably costs $20 and the pipe, coupler, and glue are less than $10. For $30 and a little bit of time, you can do the repair correctly.

My last disclaimer: You previously said it broke because it melted. If that is true and your pump got hot enough to melt that piece, then it almost certainly got hot enough to deform the pump housing and you might never be able to get a proper seal at that connection.

Best of luck.

union.jpg

I have no idea why you felt it necessary to post this. I am going to be doing this repair. QUOTE=MSL;943509]I feel like this thread won't end until you get the answer you want (which in my opinion is the wrong answer), so I'm going to try one more time and then go on my way. You are very very negative. I have looked at every thing and it will be fixed without any problem. While I appreciate your help, at this point I'm perfectly fine with you going to someone else s thread and spreading your negativity now.

Multiple people have explained what you need to replace the broken union. You need a new union kit, a piece of pvc pipe, a coupler, and pvc glue.

The union pipe on your pump broke for whatever reason (that's a whole different subject and probably needs to be addressed first). The part circled in green in the picture below is still glued to the pipe hanging above your pump in the original picture (now deleted) and needs to be cut off. The part circled in red was either still under the nut or it was blown out to wherever. If the 4 tabs on your pump housing are not damaged, you simply install the new union kit and connect it to the old pipe with a coupler. The part circled in yellow is nothing more than a fancy proprietary "nut" that tightens over the notches on the pump housing. If you are easily able to turn that nut past the notches so that it becomes loose again, then your pump housing is damaged and you need a new housing or pump.

Lastly, that pump is very close to your pool and the people enjoying your pool. You should never try to mickey-mouse a repair on your pump and that goes double for the pressurized side of your pump. Those metal c-clamps could easily become projectiles if that union gives way at the wrong time. The same thing for the plastic bits that explode because you have tried to create threads in the pump housing. The new union kit probably costs $20 and the pipe, coupler, and glue are less than $10. For $30 and a little bit of time, you can do the repair correctly.

My last disclaimer: You previously said it broke because it melted. If that is true and your pump got hot enough to melt that piece, then it almost certainly got hot enough to deform the pump housing and you might never be able to get a proper seal at that connection.

Best of luck.

View attachment 43737[/QUOTE]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.