Help needed setting up a variable speed schedule. My pool builder and now maintenance company has my variable speed pumps running full speed 24/7.

Razorbackfan

Sep 12, 2023
Arkansas
I am new to TroubleFreePool and grateful for any input. I have had my 28,000 gallon inground pool and 1,000 gallon inground hot tub for just over a year now. The pool and hot tub are separate bodies of water. I am just now learning how to adjust my iAqualink and noticed that both my 2.7hp Jandy epump pool pump and 2.7hp Jandy epump hot tub pump have been running at 3450 rpm 24/7. Any advice on a time schedule and rpms for the pool and hot tub?

Also, my pool company seems to have a difficult time keeping the chlorine and pH levels within normal range. I have Powerclean Ultra off-line chlorinators for both pool and hot tub. Any advice if I attempt to manage the chemicals myself?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 12
While you wait for the staff responses, I can offer some basics of Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC). You definitely will be well served to manage chemicals yourself. That's the concept, in a nutshell. To do that, you need a reliable test kit to help you make maintenance decisions. Test Kits Compared

Adhere to Pool Care Basics and you are well on your way to solving any issues that arise.

Your pumps most likely do not need to run full speed 24/7, but since I do not have automation I will not comment further on that.

Welcome, and Enjoy the experience of setting out on your own! :cool:

:lovetfp:

Welcome to the forum.
Those pumps at full rpm use about 3kw per hour. So run 24/7 for a year, at 20cents a Kw, would be $10000. Wow.

There is no need to run them any higher rpm than needed to perform a function. Find out what functions you need to achieve and what rpm is needed to complete those.

Also, the reason they are having trouble with chemistry is the constant use of trichlor. You need a proper test kit.

RBF,

A lot of people here run their pool pumps 24/7, but all of them run at a much slower speed. My cost to run 24/7, is less than $20 bucks a month.

We are not fans of chlorine tab feeders like you have, as constantly adding tablets, adds ever increasing CYA to your pool water.

That said, your low speed need to be fastest enough for the water passing through the tab feeder to eroded the tablets enough to provide the amount of FC (Chlorine) that your pool uses each day. I would start at about 1500 RPM, and see how that works for you.

Do you have any recent water quality test results for your pool? Even if it is from a Pool Store??.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am just now learning how to adjust my iAqualink and noticed that both my 2.7hp Jandy epump pool pump and 2.7hp Jandy epump hot tub pump have been running at 3450 rpm 24/7. Any advice on a time schedule and rpms for the pool and hot tub?
Take a screen shot of your schedule screen and your pump speed settings screen in AquaLink.
See mine for example. We need to see how they set up the pumps.

Does your AquaLink control both pumps?

VSP Schedule 2022-06-09.PNGVSP Speed Settings 2022-02-17.PNG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.