Help Needed! I don't understand...

This is one of the more uncommon occurrences of ammonia I can recall. It's almost always a pool that's been neglected for an extended period of time, usually over a winter, and really swampy. To go from clear to ammonia eating your CYA and gallons of chlorine over a 10 day summer vacation is just unfair!

Good job jumping on it
Yeah it seems a few factors played into it. There is a telegraph cable that comes over one side of the pool, and some birds whilst we were on vacation decided to do a heck load of pooping into the pool from said cable, I can tell as it’s all over the deck. On top of that it was during some of Texas’s recent hottest days. I just think terrible combo. I think the bacteria that could be in bird poop, would be similar to that in the soil/dirt that leads to ammonia production.

Reactions: Oly
Yeah it seems a few factors played into it. There is a telegraph cable that comes over one side of the pool, and some birds whilst we were on vacation decided to do a heck load of pooping into the pool from said cable, I can tell as it’s all over the deck. On top of that it was during some of Texas’s recent hottest days. I just think terrible combo. I think the bacteria that could be in bird poop, would be similar to that in the soil/dirt that leads to ammonia production.
Now there’s an interesting hypothesis to test. Any volunteers to collect the bird poo for uh… scientific chemical analysis?

Now there’s an interesting hypothesis to test. Any volunteers to collect the bird poo for uh… scientific chemical analysis?
Yes a hypothesis it is!

Just an update, OCLT results were:

FC 12.5 (8:46pm) to FC 7 (8:53am)

So a total loss of 5.5 overnight, clearly something in the water still, just happy that the chlorine depletion has slowed down. PH is still showing low, measured at 6.8 this morning so up 0.2 from yesterday. Noticed a white foam on the pool this morning. (and no I didn’t use snake oil products lol, just TFP advice, so I’ve no idea what that is).

I’m going to keep slamming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
CYA is always rounded up due to how that test works.

If the CYA reading falls between the lines on the vial, round up.

I do it a little different....
  • Mix the CYA sample
  • Outside, back to the sun
  • Fill tube to 100
  • Hold tube near top with thumb and index finger only
  • Lower tube to waist level (shaded from direct sunlight)
  • GLANCE, don't stare
  • See the dot? Fill to next line
  • Rinse, repeat until don't see the dot
  • Round up to next higher number
So, see the dot at 50 - fill to 40 and don't see the dot.
That makes the reading somewhere between 50 and 40 - round up to 50.
Also, remember to only glance and not stare.

You can also pour the solution baxk into the mixing bottle and do the test multiple times with the same sample. Then take an average of the readings.

Yes a hypothesis it is!

It's a good one! I don't think we (collective knowledge of the forum) know a ton about the bacteria that causes this. Fortunately the prescription is well known, though consumes A LOT of FC.

SLAM on!

Ok some updates:

PH has risen to 7.1, that seems like a big jump? It rained a lot yesterday. Although Cal-Hypo probably the likely candidate. (And yes will switch to LC once available locally, I’ve always used LC, Cal-Hypo was a last minute Hail Mary!)

FC: 14
CC: 1
CYA: Between 30 and 40. So rounding up to 40.

Pool definitely starting clear, still milky but can see outlines of pool bot and brush on the bottom.

Bumped shock just now, should take it to 20 FC. Going to do a reading at sunset, and do OCLT.

Chlorine and CYA definitely stabilising. No longer being consumed in rapid quantities.

Reactions: Pauls234

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The process is working. Stick with it 'til completion......no shortcuts!:)

Nice work!
Thank you; only lost 1 FC overnight, but pool still milky/grey. CC at 1 too, so something still lurking but can feel the end is high. Sand filter is clearly taking it’s time haha!

Keeping it at slam level until clear and CC is 0.5.

Reactions: Pauls234 and Oly
You are doing well. You have a good grasp of the process. Brush daily, baswash if psi increases 25%, vacuum daily (to filter) if you can.

Thank you sir.

So with a sand filter does it take time to clear up the pool in terms of it being milky? Can the sand in the filter be the problem itself?

Although last night I still didn’t pass the OCLT and 1 CC. For some reason the fresh batch of Chlorine I got from Wally, was super strong and boosted my FC to 31! It dropped to 27 overnight. (usually 1 gallon adds 6 FC)

Is there anything else I’m missing? My pool is simple no ladders, nothing where stuff can hide, skimmer box is clean. And double checking PH readings will be inaccurate right at this high FC?

Thank you sir.

So with a sand filter does it take time to clear up the pool in terms of it being milky? Can the sand in the filter be the problem itself?
Yes, it takes time. Sand can get clumped together overtime especially if any potions like clarifiers have been used in the past.
You can do a deep clean of the sand to ensure it’s good to go & also inspect the sand level at the same time. You should deep clean the sand every couple years as maintenance anyway.
Here’s the how to 👇
After confirming your sand is good to go you can add a little de to help capture the finer particles. Be sure you’re home to babysit the filter as the pressure can rise quickly.
Although last night I still didn’t pass the OCLT and 1 CC. For some reason the fresh batch of Chlorine I got from Wally, was super strong and boosted my FC to 31! It dropped to 27 overnight. (usually 1 gallon adds 6 FC)

Is there anything else I’m missing? My pool is simple no ladders, nothing where stuff can hide, skimmer box is clean.
Check the foam in the weir door (take it out and look at both sides)
No ladder or steps?
And double checking PH readings will be inaccurate right at this high FC?
Correct 👍🏻

PoolMath says 1 gal of 10% lc should raise your fc by 8ppm
IMG_6733.png
You may want to double check your pool volume.
How big around is your pool & what is the water depth?

Yes, it takes time. Sand can get clumped together overtime especially if any potions like clarifiers have been used in the past.
You can do a deep clean of the sand to ensure it’s good to go & also inspect the sand level at the same time. You should deep clean the sand every couple years as maintenance anyway.
Here’s the how to 👇
After confirming your sand is good to go you can add a little de to help capture the finer particles. Be sure you’re home to babysit the filter as the pressure can rise quickly.

Check the foam in the weir door (take it out and look at both sides)
No ladder or steps?

Correct 👍🏻
Yeah I added about 1/2 cup of DE to the filter last night, didn’t realize about the deep clean on the sand filter I’ll take a look at it.

Yeah pool steps are out at the moment.

Check foam on weir door? What does that mean exactly? Like I can see both sides of the the weir door already and there’s nothing on it. Am I looking at something specifically?

Thank you for your response.

PoolMath says 1 gal of 10% lc should raise your fc by 8ppm
View attachment 510318
You may want to double check your pool volume.
How big around is your pool & what is the water depth?
Yeah that math is right pool volume is correct. This batch of chlorine was brand new and delivered, could tell it came from the “factory” and not storage. It seemed a lot stronger too.

I’m usually scavenging crappy LC from Lowe’s etc, that’s been sitting hence not as strong.

On the weir door, you are just looking to see if, by chance, algae is hiding in the foam. You can slide it out and kind of rinse and wring it out in the pool water to be certain, but you are looking for any kind of green shmear or slimy algae feel to it. If it's nice and clean looking you are probably good, it's just one of those spots that algae can hide and keep causing a fail of the OCLT even though all else looks good.

Yeah that math is right pool volume is correct. This batch of chlorine was brand new and delivered, could tell it came from the “factory” and not storage. It seemed a lot stronger too.

I’m usually scavenging crappy LC from Lowe’s etc, that’s been sitting hence not as strong.
Can’t be mad at it lol 😂 definitely better than weak stuff for outrageous prices!
Try these to find good sources for fresh & cheapish liquid chlorine. Lots of good places in texas

Reactions: TitanBrave
On the weir door, you are just looking to see if, by chance, algae is hiding in the foam. You can slide it out and kind of rinse and wring it out in the pool water to be certain, but you are looking for any kind of green shmear or slimy algae feel to it. If it's nice and clean looking you are probably good, it's just one of those spots that algae can hide and keep causing a fail of the OCLT even though all else looks good.
Foam looked great, white as snow lol.

I do have a confession to make, I took out the pool bot, and I usually just rinse out the bucket and filters. But I actually inspected it fully. Oh my word! That thing is a trap of dirt, oil, and foliage! So I spent an hour cleaning the thing. Can’t believe how much gunk came out of it. Probably good reason not to let it just sit in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.