Help me not murder my husband!

That is a super nice pool. Him being nonchalant about pool maintenance is going to cost you more in the long run then taking the 5 mins to test the pool. My wife knows how you feel. I deploy in the military so she is stuck doing the pool maintenance w/ a 5yr old and a newborn. We share the load when I am back home.

I have the 280 and it works really well. One thing you could do is put in a salt water generator so it produces chlorine for you. You still have to test for chlorine but it is just a matter of adding salt when needed or bumping up or down your swg chlorine production.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If you pour your test sample all the way to the top of and can still see the dot, it means you have very little (or no) CYA. You will want to refer to the pool school for an idea based on your circumstances on what CYA you should be shooting for, and then start getting a gameplan through the pool calculator on how much stabilizer you will need to achieve your target CYA.

For now use your current CYA number to determine your target shock value. http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Good luck

Thanks. So we need to start by adding CYA.

We do have CYA in powder form we bought last year. Is this what we need to put into a sock? It says to add into the skimmer or to mix with warm water and then add. I'm nervous to add too much. It says add 1lb per 4000 gallons which would mean we need bottles and bottles of the stuff. I dont think that sounds right?

My husband did all the sweeping and testing tonight. I think he just needs a push in the right direction and to be told that guessing quantities is not the way to go.

Hobokenkitchen said:
Thanks. So we need to start by adding CYA.

We do have CYA in powder form we bought last year. Is this what we need to put into a sock? It says to add into the skimmer or to mix with warm water and then add. I'm nervous to add too much. It says add 1lb per 4000 gallons which would mean we need bottles and bottles of the stuff. I dont think that sounds right?

My husband did all the sweeping and testing tonight. I think he just needs a push in the right direction and to be told that guessing quantities is not the way to go.
Yes, that's the stuff. Use the sock method. We don't just recommend it for amusement. There's a reason: you could clog the suction lines, it's very acidic and rough on the plumbing when concentrated, if you need to backwash before it dissolves, you'll lose it, and it dissolves very slowly.

Use 20 as your current reading and aim for 30. I see 4 lbs will take 50,000 gallons up by almost 10. So start with that much. It's easy to add more later, hard to get rid of it. Bookmark this if you haven't already. It's your new best friend. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

I remembered about putting it in a sock, but I don't remember where to put the sock. I'm assuming in front of a skimmer? Or in the skimmer?

Thanks so much for this guys - you are so helpful.

Last time we were messing with the pool I was heavily pregnant and then had a newborn. Now that baby is an 11 month old sweetie pie, but she's having some asthma issues so we're having to give her a nebulizer every 4 hours (including at night) for the next few days so we're pretty fried!

Hobokenkitchen said:
I remembered about putting it in a sock, but I don't remember where to put the sock. I'm assuming in front of a skimmer? Or in the skimmer?

Thanks so much for this guys - you are so helpful.

Last time we were messing with the pool I was heavily pregnant and then had a newborn. Now that baby is an 11 month old sweetie pie, but she's having some asthma issues so we're having to give her a nebulizer every 4 hours (including at night) for the next few days so we're pretty fried!
Hang it in front of a return. If that's not practical, tie the sock(s) to an empty chlorine jug or a pool noodle and let it bob around in the pool.

I have a Polaris 280 and like it very much. The person at the pool supply said that the 280 is the vacuum that the pool services usually install because they are easy to maintain. She also called it "old style", so I would ask more about that if it matters.

I had a pool guy last year (my first year at the house) and HE arranged my purchase of the Polaris 280. It IS easy to work on. A wheel got stuck in the ladder and broke. 10 minute fix. I don't know how hard any others are though.

The pool supply had a model 3900 that has stainless steel mechanisms and shafts (instead of plastic).

I found out the leaf bag (2-sided butterfly) fits my 280! Now I can catch twice as many leaves! :)

Bernie

I have always added mine through the skimmer. I just make sure that I have the basket in the skimmer and that keeps it from sending too much at one time and have not had an issue before. It seems the consensus here is to use the sock method though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hobokenkitchen said:
This morning's chlorine reading.

FC: 9.5
CC: 0 (but we have to still have algae).
TC: 9.5

It doesn't look like any of the CYA has dissolved at all. Maybe the socks are too thick. May need to rethink.
Nope. That's normal. It can take several days to dissolve. Giving it a squeeze when you go by speeds it up. Hanging it in front of the return lets it get pummeled by the return flow which also speeds it up.

Hobokenkitchen said:
It doesn't look like any of the CYA has dissolved at all. Maybe the socks are too thick. May need to rethink.

CYA takes forever to disolve. I know you're crunched on time with a sick wee one but I'll tell you what I do. I soak the sock with CYA in the skimmer box for 15 minutes and then I take it out and hang over the side of the pool and manipulate the sock over the return til it's gone. Like I said, that's kinda hard with a lil one. Hope your sweetie pie gets well soon! Asthma is a terrible thing to have!

I use a knee high instead of a tube sock and squeeze it in front of the return several times a day. only takes a couple or 3 days to finish.
When I first started I used a tube sock and I guess it was too thick, it took FOREVER! to dissolve so I switched to the knee highs. Sometimes I double them just in case one gets a hole in it, the CYA is still contained.

linen said:
That is normal. Get your FC back up. Once the cya is gone from the sock, assume that it is in your pool and adjust up your FC shocking level accordingly.

I still have to work out what that means and as I am jot sure of the gallons in the pool it makes life really difficult. I know I should add chlorine tonight, but no idea how much.

Looks like the PH is at 7.2 so that's good right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.