Help me determine what this is - White mold? Algae? Calcium? Something else?

jyo1

Apr 15, 2024
Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've recently taken over management of my new pool and after a drain and refill, am focusing on getting the water chemistry in shape (you'll note in my results below the CYA and salt levels are low for this pool, which has a SWG. Note that the SWG is not turned on yet - I've been adding liquid chlorine while I raise slowly those levels.)

Last week, I noticed a white substance which in the corner of our spa. as soon as I disturb the water, much of it very easily breaks up.

From another thread, I thought maybe maybe this was calcium, but adding a drop of vinegar didn't cause any fizzing (see video).

Anyone have any idea what this is? This is in the corner which does not get a ton of circulation. The pool is covered by a tight-fighting opaque automatic pool cover 23+ hours a day - I thought maybe we were just creating a very stagnant corner of the pool but, but I haven't seen really anything that looks like this before.

I've attached a few photos, as well as linked video of me scraping this stuff, as well as the vinegar test.

Scraping:

Vingar test:

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

==========================================

------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 5900 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 5.2 (36 minutes ago)
CC: 0.0 (36 minutes ago)
pH: 7.8 (36 minutes ago)
TA: 110 (36 minutes ago)
CH: 230 (36 minutes ago)
CYA: 30 (36 minutes ago)
SALT: 1800 (2 days ago)
==========================================

Attachments

• broken-up.jpeg
    broken-up.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 7
  • corner1.jpeg
    corner1.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 7
  • corner2.jpeg
    corner2.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 5
  • corner3.jpeg
    corner3.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 7
I can say it's definitely not sunscreen - spa hasn't been used in the daylight and the cover is usually closed. (Plus, it returned in the exact same location a day or two after removing it initially)

The cover doesn't have any evidence I can see when the cover is closed.