Charlotte
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Good morning guys. I need advice with a pool heater for the inground pool. The pool is about 17,000 gal, salt chlorine generator. We live in Charlotte, NC.
A heat pump might be the best option for my location but I don’t really know anything about this to have any sort of educated opinion. Also, if you can recommend a company in my area that would be awesome. Thank you

Get the largest BTU you can find. In a heat pump that is usually like 175k. You are looking at $5k installed for it.

Here if Florida heat pumps are used on pools and for most homes. BUT, POOL HEAT PUMP INSTALLERS and home heat pump AC guys are not the same. Its very important that BEFORE you purchase a heat pump for your pool that your confident of heat pump installers/repairmen in your area will support the brand of HP that you purchase.

You may want to try these guys to see if they know of HP installers and repairmen in your area, they sell many different brands and and the phone and online support was excellent.
https://www. poolheatpumps.com/ ....FYI, I ended up purchasing a Gulfstream 115,000 BTU from them after my AquaCal died. I found them to be very helpful, Asa was the man I dealt with the most and he was great. I also like the fact that this unit had a 40 amp electrical requirement which I had existing.

Reactions: Newdude and CEPE7A
I got a quote from my local pool installer for Jandy gas heater and a heat pump. Do you guys know if Jandy heaters are know to be reliable or not?

I have two quotes. One for Jandy gas heater and a heat pump. The second one is for Raypak ream from another installer. The raypak comes with one year warranty as opposed to 3 years for Jandy. The installer says Raypak heat pump is more reliable. Around $7000 for both with installation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The 7k installed strikes me as high for the HP ( figuring 4k-4.5k for the HP), BUT, without knowing your electrical requirement for the HP ( I'm guessing 60 amps) and what's involved meeting that requirement ( cost wise}, just maybe, its in line.
Also for that price have them include a heater bypass during the new install. You'll be glad down the road.

Do either include running the gas line or electric line? Around here I got a quote for $4000 to run the gas line. Prepare for sticker shock if your quote did not include that.

What is the heater bypass and why do I need it? Jandy pump seems to have a bypass.
Electric line installation is included. I don’t know about the gas line.
The second installer assures Raypak is a better heat pump.

What is the heater bypass and why do I need it? Jandy pump seems to have a bypass.
Electric line installation is included. I don’t know about the gas line.

All tier 1s are about the same reliability. Raypac is as good as Jandy. Go with the cheaper but keep in mind higher BTUs = faster heating. If you decide on gas get a 400k BTU. It will heat MUCH quicker.

Heat Pump = Slower heating - couple degrees per day. On all the time. No extended season.
Gas Heat = Faster heating - couple degrees per hour. On demand heating (use when you want/need heat). Can extend your season.

What is the heater bypass and why do I need it?

Jandy pump seems to have a bypass.

The Versaflo bypass will not help you if your water chemistry can be damaging the heater.

Heat pumps are a commodity. They all use the same components often from the same manufactures.

Ask the installer what specifically makes it better?

What does differ is the warranty and how a company handles warranty service.

Reactions: CEPE7A
Wait… no extended season?! I want a heater to extend the season and ok waiting a day or so.

Heat pumps get less efficient the colder it gets. Once it hits in the 60s they really don't do anything. In NC you might add a couple weeks to each end of the season. Gas, however, works year round, albeit at a cost. A 400k BTU gas heater costs @ $5/hour to run. But, you can swim in the middle of winter with it if you so desire.

Reactions: Newdude
The 7k installed strikes me as high for the HP ( figuring 4k-4.5k for the HP
Upgrading the equipment panel to handle the extra 60A requires a thicker gauge feed that is real spendy these days, especially at 100ft or more away. My HP cost $6k 10 years ago including healthy profits for both the PB and the electrican, and much cheaper supplies.

By comparison, when I told them I'd add a gas heater down the road for pool #2, the standard issue panel/feed could handle the 15A it would need without an upgrade.

I will end up paying a similar charge to install a LP tank when the time comes. If you already have a large enough tank nearby, or even better, NG from the street, then you can pocket the difference.

Reactions: jsygrls
Both installers have heat pumps installed in their pools, but the majority of their installs are gas heaters. One installer is wants me to hire an electrician. The second installer is all inclusive, which I prefer to avoid finger pointing in case something happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.