HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Wow. I leave for two weeks and this thread goes totally downhill. I want in on all the screwing ....... Wait, what?

Hehheh. Looking good Nikki! Though, I thought I'd come back to you swimming. You got clear water now. Just a matter of time girl :)

Ps. Trip was Aweeeeesome :D.

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

Ok pump is on, now to the next problem

Leak. At the top of my pump where the large hose goes from my filter, the pool store did not have the right male adapter.

So, i went to Home Depot. They didn't either but a guy that was trying to help found a metal one that is just about identical to the plastic one that was broken off into the old pump.

Problem is...it's leaking. More like spewing water into the air. Note that i cannot get it all the way in by screwing it in, there are about 2 rows of rings that i can't get to go in there. But, it's 95 % in there. Does that make sense? I used channel locks, that's all i had and i can't get a grip on it good enough to turn it.

Should i just order the plastic one? Is the metal one not going to work? I tried using tape, the thin white one. Didn't help. Is there a caulking thing i should use or what?

Help ...once again.

Good to see you back NewPoolOwner12!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

NikiBelle said:
Leak. At the top of my pump where the large hose goes from my filter, the pool store did not have the right male adapter.

So, i went to Home Depot. They didn't either but a guy that was trying to help found a metal one that is just about identical to the plastic one that was broken off into the old pump.

Problem is...it's leaking. More like spewing water into the air. Note that i cannot get it all the way in by screwing it in, there are about 2 rows of rings that i can't get to go in there. But, it's 95 % in there. Does that make sense? I used channel locks, that's all i had and i can't get a grip on it good enough to turn it.

If I had to guess the threads didn't match and you have cross threaded it. At this point you may have damaged the threads on the pump. You might try plumbers putty - I have no idea if that is OK to use with the chemistry in a pool but it's what I would do next if I was dealing with a leak and teflon tape wasn't adequate.

I found the right part online for 10 bucks shipping and all. So i ordered it. Hopefully will be here Saturday.

Here's to praying i didn't damage my threads in the pump.

On a positive note: The hose doesn't leak and the other hose and adapter doesn't leak. So this one is my only problem...so far...lol

Having the right part will no doubt be the best solution. But I will be interested in what other advice you may get. Never know when I will need it.

I've never had good luck matching a metal piece up with a plastic piece like you are saying. A replacement part I'm sure will be your best bet.

I plan on opening up a pool store that advices people to use the BBB method and sell Hayward pumps with adapters.

Just fyi.

I'm sick to death of the pool stores around here. They even sell my Hayward pump for MORE THAN double the price i paid online. But, they don't sell the right adapters? For real? It's like i'm in the freaking twilight zone or Hotel California or the Bermuda Triangle. I swear it.

It is amazing that probably 90% or more of pool stores are run by people who do not know their business (at least based on the postings on this board).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My understanding is you should not use a metal male threaded pipe fitting with a female threaded pipe fitting, since the metal fitting won't give and actually stretch the female thread open and will often leak (and could cause stress cracks). Hopefully, you did not do permanent damage ( I would guess not)...but I would get he proper plastic male threaded fitting and use that for this joint. I am surprised Home Depot did not have the right fitting...though I am not surprised that they did not know about the issue with metal male fittings in female plastic fittings :hammer:

I think the major issue is the HomeDepot doesn't stock the PVC fitting with the hose adapter. I have never seen them at my HD... but my pool store thankfully stocks them. I would send you my spare but I think it would cost more than $10 to get it to you any sooner. My HD barely has any fittings in the 1.5 to 2 inch range. I think some of the other HD nearby might and I noticed HD_Supply is much more industrial in what they stock.

Lowes seems to have a different range also. I don't frequent Lowes. I have always wondered what different markets they serve... they do seem to be different from each other.

I just clicked on the link by Linen and my Lowe's has it in stock. It is only $.73, so Niki if you have a Lowe's nearby they may have it and you can get going tomorrow. I have never seen it at Home Depot either.

IIRC that is for Poly pipes and PVC and POLY are sized differently. I tried to do a project (making 10 foot hula hoops) and the Poly barbed fittings are for 1.5 nominal sizes do not work. I could be wrong but they are cheap enough it would be worth a try.

If you want to try, take in one of your hoses (if you can)... or let it leak until Saturday and fix it with what you have already bought. If you put the pump up on the deck, it will not leak when you are not pumping.

Well it figures. I've never found anything at Lowes that i didn't find at Home Depot. Leave it to this experience that that is the case.

Oh and yes Linen that is the exact piece i need.

I've already ordered the part to be here on Saturday. I work tomorrow anyway. I guess i'll just wait. I hate to buy a 4 dollar part that i paid 10 dollars for already.

ANDdddddddd knowing the little about things that i do (which you are all well aware of) i specifically asked that Home Depot dude if putting a metal part into a plastic part would be a problem. He said no it would just be stronger. :|

Uggggg

Niki....
Lowes offers free "pick up" on their items. Find a Lowes that you're driving past on your way to work and order from their website. It should be ready in the morning. I've done this SEVERAL times with no issues. Most are in the .75 cent range......so it's not like it will break the bank. Just keep the other piece in case of an issue down the line.....or try and send it back for a refund.

Just looked and the Lowes on "Mountain Grove Drive" has it for .68 cents with free store pickup. :D

Radiator hose leak tape is another potential to get you back up and running in the meantime.

NikiBelle said:
i specifically asked that Home Depot dude if putting a metal part into a plastic part would be a problem. He said no it would just be stronger.
Seriously!
He should have known better... I bet he'll sale a toilet connector for a hot-water line too! (Btw... toilet connectors are plastic on both ends... when the copper gets hot from the water, in time, it breaks the plastic fittings!)...

ok off to catch up on the rest of the pump

...wc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.