Help! Brand New SW Pool Just turned green

On a side note... thinking about your ladder.... Pull it out of the pool, and be sure to wipe down and rinse the UNDERSIDE of the steps as well. You want to kill everything you can before you re-fill.

1/2 cup of 8.25% PLAIN bleach (not scented, and not the spill-proof type) added to 1 to 2 gallons of water should do what you are looking for.

As he wipes the solution you should be there with the hose to rinse it off with plain water quickly as he moves onto another section. (we don't want it to stay long enough to start fading the print on the liner).

Texas Splash may step in here to correct me if I'm a bit off.

Hey you two! :wave: How is it going? I figured shortly you'll be done with your pool "housekeeping" and ready to fill. So in preparation for your new water, I wanted to give you this game plan forward so you can start right away as soon as you have the water level up to the skimmer to start the pump: (FYI - I used 4,500 as my gallon capacity on the Poolmath Calculator). You can double-check or adjust if needed.)
1. Increase CYA to "70". That is necessary for your SWG pool. If you still plan to use liquid, that's about 107 ounces. If you use granules, it's about 42 ounces.
2. Add the required amount of salt. 120 lbs should get you close to about 3,100 ppm.
3. You'll need to add a little bleach for the first day or two until the SWG was adjusted properly. On day 1 you only want about 3 ppm (2 - 2.5 cups of 8.25% bleach). On day two, you should increase FC to between 4-6 ppm and NEVER let FC drop below 3 (me personally I'd lever let it drop below 4). :) Use regular bleach to help until you get the SWG adjusted properly.
4. PH should be in the mid 7-s (7.5-7.8). If you need help adjusting pH up or down, just let us know.

That should just about do it for today. Please make sure to order your TF-100 test kit as soon as you can. For now, the Poolmath calculator will be a big help, and a simple Wal-Mart HTH drop test kit will help with pH and low FC levels. But eventually you'll need the TF-100. Oh, I highly encourage you to also include the "Speed Stir" magnetic mixer to help you mix efficiently. :stirpot:

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for checking in on us. It is taking forever to drain the pool even with 2 drains open and running through hoses. It still has a lot of water to drain out. The last bit will have to be pumped out because of drain placement on these Intex rectangle pools. Last time we filled it we gave our well pump breaks and it took 2 days to fill. I am thinking we may run short on time here but we are still going to try to get it going by Friday. It will be pretty cold water though! I had already ordered the TF-100 on the 3rd when I posted my question here. Too bad I didn't know about the Speed Stir stick then I could have saved on shipping by ordering it then.

Hey you two! :wave: How is it going? I figured shortly you'll be done with your pool "housekeeping" and ready to fill. So in preparation for your new water, I wanted to give you this game plan forward so you can start right away as soon as you have the water level up to the skimmer to start the pump: (FYI - I used 4,500 as my gallon capacity on the Poolmath Calculator). You can double-check or adjust if needed.)
1. Increase CYA to "70". That is necessary for your SWG pool. If you still plan to use liquid, that's about 107 ounces. If you use granules, it's about 42 ounces.
2. Add the required amount of salt. 120 lbs should get you close to about 3,100 ppm.
3. You'll need to add a little bleach for the first day or two until the SWG was adjusted properly. On day 1 you only want about 3 ppm (2 - 2.5 cups of 8.25% bleach). On day two, you should increase FC to between 4-6 ppm and NEVER let FC drop below 3 (me personally I'd lever let it drop below 4). :) Use regular bleach to help until you get the SWG adjusted properly.
4. PH should be in the mid 7-s (7.5-7.8). If you need help adjusting pH up or down, just let us know.

That should just about do it for today. Please make sure to order your TF-100 test kit as soon as you can. For now, the Poolmath calculator will be a big help, and a simple Wal-Mart HTH drop test kit will help with pH and low FC levels. But eventually you'll need the TF-100. Oh, I highly encourage you to also include the "Speed Stir" magnetic mixer to help you mix efficiently. :stirpot:

Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW thanks so very much for the detailed info you just posted. Very helpful!!

Just went out and there is about 4 inches left in the pool. The sump pump we are using had shut off so we rigged it to stay on. Hubby is going to bed, he worked like a dog in this heat putting up fencing for the chickens today. He had to pick axe the fence line, manias that sweaty back breaking work. I am going to try and stay up another hour or so to turn off the pump when the pool is empty. We are going to try and get up really early to do the clean out before he goes to work tomorrow. Can't thank you enough for spelling it all out in post #25. Oh, BTW Happy 4th!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just went out to check the pool and have a question. Since it is filling very slowly and it is an intensely hot sunny day should I add any chlorine to the water before the pump is on or will that damage the liner? I am afraid the water may turn green again before it is even full enough to turn the pump on and add chemicals. Thanks.

We have well water, so it has no chlorine in it. The pool has only filled 13 inches in almost 4 hours and it is a very intense sunny day. Worried about losing the water again at this slow fill rate in this heat.

According to my calculations you have about 1136 gallons in the pool now. Per pool math, you can add about 4 oz of 8.25% bleach which will bring your FC to 2. Just make sure that you disperse it with the water hose so that it doesn't concentrate on one area.

Can you tell me if you are you basing that on the numbers I posted around noon or did you calculate it for the extra water that was added between then and now? I think it may be turning already it's been sitting al day. The hose also put sand in the water so running the water from 10:00 AM until 3:00 may have drained my well too much. Either way I am going to run out and put in the 4 oz of bleach and turn the hose back on for a min to disperse it. Thanks.

According to my calculations you have about 1136 gallons in the pool now. Per pool math, you can add about 4 oz of 8.25% bleach which will bring your FC to 2. Just make sure that you disperse it with the water hose so that it doesn't concentrate on one area.

My calculations were based on 13" of water being in the pool. I have no idea how many inches on the pool now.

Do you have any way of measuring FC now? The bright sun+no CYA=rapid loss of FC. With no CYA, you would want to keep FC at 2.

Oh Ok, sorry. I thought maybe you did a calculation using the numbers I wrote in my post at noon (4 hours to get 13" in 9 x 14 pool). I probably should have gone with my instinct and added some at noon when I wrote my post but I wanted to see what you guys said first in case I was wrong. I finally found a scoop long enough to reach down to the water and grab some. The test strip said Total chlorine 1, FC 1, PH 7.8. It is looking greenish in the pool and I have 11 out-of-state grandkids coming on Friday for a pool party. I am thinking that maybe I have lost the battle. What do you think? I have a kit with drops but I dont' know if that makes any difference so I didn't run that one too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.