Hello from Tampa Bay

jessica_b

May 10, 2023
Tampa FL
I discovered your site a few days ago. My pool, that I've taken care of for 5 years (when we moved in we had the fiberglass redone), had turned green, and I was disappointed when the pool store test claimed cya was 148! And yet she didn't advise me to do anything about that even though algae was clearly taking over. She wanted me to add more powdered shock (which I had already done just a day or two prior with no noticible difference) After researching, I realize that the shock bags I was using was dichlor and adding significantly to cya, which then made sense as to why more shock wasn't getting rid of the green. Anyway, I ordered the TF-Pro test kit, and I'm anxious for its arrival. Meanwhile I'm doing what I can while I wait, read a lot of the articles here- thank you they are so clearly written and explain so much! The pool making some progress, but I'm excited to be more independent in the care of my pool.

Hey Jessica and Welcome !!!!

Have you seen the Pool Care Basics ?

GREAT job on the test kit. You'll understand when you get it. It's real nice and once we teach you what to do with it, your pool will be real nice and blue.

You're likely going to need to drain a considerable amount of water to lower your CYA. Here's why : FC/CYA Levels.

Here's how: Draining - Further Reading

When it seems like so much to process and you want a reminder why you're trying so hard ....... How Clear is TFP Clear?. Nothing makes us happier than minting a new member to the TFP clear club. :)

New Dude,
Yep, I read all those articles, thanks! Those pictures in how clear is clear are amazing!

Yes, I am sure I need to drain and refill. What I did twice this week, was to drain about a foot off my pool, using the vacuum running so I could get the water below the skimmer without running my motor dry. Then refilled with the hose. I didn't go more than a foot because I was afraid of damaging the pool, even though its still pretty dry right now, we're only at 6ft elevation and our pool is 5ft deep at the deep end.
At this point most of the green is out, but water is still cloudy, and from what limited testing I'm able to do my chlorine is high, so I'm going to wait until my good test kit comes in the mail and then I'll have a better direction. 🤞 hopefully very soon!
Meanwhile I'll keep reading and learning, thanks!

Reactions: Newdude