Hello from North Central Texas (Kaufman County)

philwmay

Gold Supporter
Apr 15, 2022
Terrell, Texas 75161 (south east of DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thank you to those working hard to maintain this web site!

I wish I had found this group a year ago. We moved to a rural location in Texas two years ago and last spring decided to install an Intex 20' dia above ground pool for the kids. We placed it in the back yard nestled between large oak shade trees (the rest of the back yard was off limits due to the septic system buried within it). Once we got the ground leveled and the pool erected things went pretty well for awhile. I was using trichlor tablets and shocking weekly with cal-hypo. Towards the middle of the summer, the 1970's septic system which we had carefully avoided when selecting the pool site finally gave up and had to be completely replaced. This meant that the rest of the backyard was completely dug up and we had large trucks and a work crew kicking up enormous amounts of dust. The little GAME SandPro 75 D sand filter, which was already mad about all the leaves, bugs, twigs and the occasional branch falling into the pool, said "I didn't sign up for this" and went off to sulk. By the end of the summer the algae had taken over, the CYA was up to 70 and whatever chlorine we added of course did nothing but enrich the pool supply industrial complex coffers. I gave up for the season and covered the pool, having decided that I would spend some time trying to find a more reliable source of information and start over this spring.

Luckily I found this group and have been quietly lurking around reading and learning. I have procured a Taylor K-2006C test kit and last weekend took the cover off the pool. After three days of brushing, SLAMing, vacuuming to waste and a 50% water replacement, the CYA is down to the 35 - 40 ppm range and the pool, while still cloudy, at least has taken on a nice blue color. My last chlorine add this evening was only 49 oz of 10% bleach to get the free chlorine back up from 12 ppm to the 16.0 ppm SLAM level. I know from reading the experiences of many others here on the forum that there are no quick fixes and I am dedicated to getting this right.

Once again, thanks to all who have created this wonderful resource.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Lots of folks here to help when you need it.