Pylon

Aug 16, 2023
Buda, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Oh man, I'm glad I ran across this site. The straightforward, more common sense TFP approach makes this totally foreign idea of maintaining a swimming pool seem less daunting. When we jumped into this pool journey head first a month or so ago, my level of knowledge was right about zero. I think I've learned a little bit already.

Our construction is nearing completion; the concrete deck will be poured tomorrow morning. Then it's just decking overlay, cleanup and plaster in about 2 weeks. I'm really looking forward to cleaning up the destruction of my front and back yard and not watering gunite in the 100+ degree heat every day.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure you all will be a big help.

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome to TFP.
Since you will be doing the plaster process soon - look at these tips that has been gathered over many discussions on preparation for plaster

Day of Plaster
1. Clean up around the pool area the day before - brush any dirt/mud or debris that could be tracked into the pool during or after plaster
2. Verify that the bags of plaster are the proper type and color you selected on morning of plaster.
3. Take a sample of the mixture when they are applying it to the pool by pouring some in a small clear plastic cup (good for reference later)
4. Do they have all the proper return nozzles and drain covers (type and color) to place after plaster installed
5. If you have an in-floor cleaning system be sure to count all of the heads ahead of time and confirm they're all showing before they finish the plaster.
6. Have you tested your fill water? Are you filling with softened water or regular tap water or well water?
7. Have your hose ready (and clean) as it will be laying in the pool.
8. Tie a sock or cloth around the nozzle so it does not sit on the plaster.
9. Put the end of the hose at the lowest part of the pool to avoid channeling in the new plaster. Also, consider tying a plastic jug to the nozzle such that it will float up as the water rises.
10. Ensure you take note (or a picture) of your water meter reading before you start to fill
11. Be prepared to take note of your water meter as the pool reaches certain levels, i.e bottom of bottom step, top of bottom step, etc. (it helps in the future to know volume of your pool at certain levels - should you ever have to drain portion of it)
12. Plan to set an alarm every 4 hours (or so) to ensure hose is still in pool, no debris blew into pool, etc.
13. Do NOT stop the flow of water once the pool starts filling as doing so could cause a ring on the new plaster.
14. Take a picture of any chemicals they bring on site that they plan to dump in when they start to add water to pool
15. Continue to fill pool to center of water tile or center of skimmer. Take picture of water meter at end of fill. Subtract the starting meter reading to give you the total volume of pool and can subtract approximately 80 gals per person to account for bath water, washing, dishwasher, etc. while pool was filling.
16. Get clear instructions from PB as what to do the day the pool is full - how often to brush, will the pump be turned on, etc.
17. Define with PB when he will be back out to set up water chemistry.

Reactions: Pylon