Hello From GA!

jblizzle said:
Now I see. This morning the CYA was reported as 40ppm where shock is 16ppm, so the 1/3 would sort of work. Now the pool store says CYA is 76ppm. SO ... did CYA really change or is this another example of inaccurate pool store testing ???
Aww gotcha! I was only looking at the most recent test result post. I would assume this is yet another case of getting 'pool stored' ! :roll:

MargaretB3 said:
I have tested the CYA twice with my kit...both were at 40,...should I use the pools analysis before adding the chlorine of go by my reading of 40?
Just ordered the Taylor K1515 will have it next week.
Go with your own readings for SURE! Which puts your target shock level FC much lower. In this case, you could use Jason's method until your test kit arrives.

I would certainly trust your repeatable reading before some non-calibrated computer :)

Based on their reading, we would be recommending replacing 40-50% of your water.

The FAS-DPD will certainly help, but as stated before, you could probably use a 1/3 pool 2/3 distilled water to be able to roughly measure up to 15ppm ... just shoot to keep it > 15ppm.

Added bleach last night using the pool print out for TC and FC. Tested this am using 3 parts method..still reading 15. Then I broke it down using 4ths-no color change. I'm beginning to wonder if I could even tell the difference. Pool looks the same, I am going to vacuum and back wash, then add more bleach. Hoping the test shows up sooner then planned. All this before the first cup of coffee :shock:

Received my FAS-DPD test today. Just tested the water.

FC 23
CC-1.5

I was doing the chlorine test from the kit, and having to do it in 8th to get a reading. Did it this am, and got about a 16 added bleach to bring it to 20. So that was 4hrs ago. Before the FAS-DPD test.

Pool is still cloudy blue green. Where do I go from here? Other then going to buy more bleach. :)

MargaretB3 said:
what is Tapatalk?

App to view and interacted with forums from my phone ... I have that line as my signature in my phone as I do not writing my normal long-winded responses from the phone. And it is not easy to add hyperlinks/etc from the phone, so sometimes the posts are not as helpful.

Also it seems that pictures posted directly into your online forum posts do not show up in tapatalk. I am supposing that those you would pull from photobucket or flicker would show up tho. Its like tapatalk is an abreviated no frills version of the forum for use on your cell phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I have been keeping Shock level at 20..tested this morning it was 16, bumped it back up. Now the CC is 0...does that mean its just a matter of time until it clears. This waiting is driving my kids nuts..not to mention me :) The color hasn't changed, pressure in the filter hasn't changed either. I have a feeling I'll be out of reagent before this pool clears up.

I'm backkk..
The pool is still cloudy, even after maintaining ppm of 20 and having the filter running for over a week.
So after searching around I read about cleaning the sand in the filter. Well I did it, and even after 2 and half hours of flushing it was still pushing up what I assume is dead algae. Got tired and put the filter back together, figured it be easier just changing the sand. Now for the new problem. I don't know how much sand to get. I replaced the sand 3 years ago (this will be the 3 season after change) but the sticker on the outside of the big blue ball is now worn off, out of all the paper work I have for the pool I found one reference to 50lbs filter sand. I don't even have a model number for the filter, it is a Waterway round filter. 26in?

What to do?

Yes only mine is blue..When I purchased the pool it came with baquacil..so on the paper work it says 26" baquashield filter..I'm doing a search now, but not finding anything. I actually found the pdf you just linked to..it says 200lbs..I do not remember purchasing that much sand.

Changing the sand is not ever really needed unless you do a Baq conversion ... it does not "wear-out" and any little dirt in the sand currently is actually helping the filtration.

Okay so don't replace it? When I put it back together I immediately backwashed it so all the stuff remaining wouldn't go back into the pool. So I lost some sand. Is that going to cause an issue? Sorry to be such a pain, but it has never taken me this long to get the pool to clear up, so I'm grasping straws here.

jblizzle said:
Changing the sand is not ever really needed unless you do a Baq conversion ... it does not "wear-out" and any little dirt in the sand currently is actually helping the filtration.

I don't see how it's possible not to erode the sand. Water already does this naturally, on top of the sand constantly rubbing together. Maybe you can explain.

First ask yourself ... how old is the sand ... not in your filter, but on this Earth. Then realize that the only time the sand in the filter is actually MOVING is when you are backwashing.

If it wore out quickly ... all the beaches of the world would be powder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support