4. .....AFS (Air Flow Switch)
  5. .....AGS (Automatic Gas Shutoff).
  6. .....Service System
  7. .....Thermistor
  8. .....Heating
  9. .....Pool On
  10. ...Spa On
  11. ...Service Heater.
I just taped the gas valve with a hammer and now it doesn't fire up.
Don't do that.

The valve is a sensitive piece of equipment and you should not be hitting it with a hammer.

The unit is old I believe like 2005 but I have replaced all parts like 8 years ago. I also changed the gas valve back than as well. I have changed the board a few times. I have always been able to get it working. This time it is very frustrating cause it works for several minutes and cycles off. I have changed so many parts and still not working.

If you have replaced the board and the AGS sensor, then the wiring might be bad.

Check the input voltage and all wiring on everything.

Check the voltage coming out of the transformer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a max e therm 400 pool heater and have replaced almost every part and I am still getting as AGS error. The heater runs for about 5 minutes and then the service heater light flashes and goes off then the service system light goes on and the heater turns off. Error code is AGS. I have replaced the ags and same problem exists. I can restart it immediately but does the same thing.

The heater has an internal water flow problem causing it to overheat and trigger the AGS.

It may be a scaled heat exchanger, thermal regulator, or bypass valve.

How old is the heater?

Do you have pics of what the external and internals of the heater?

Can you show pictures of everything?
yes. It's seems to consistently shut down when exhaust temp is in 230's. Also runs very smooth no knocking or odd noises. However it does switch from service system a few times and then goes to service heater right before shutting off.

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    644.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1053.jpeg
    IMG_1053.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1052.jpeg
    IMG_1052.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1048.jpeg
    IMG_1048.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 9
Just came across this old thread from November 8,2023. Wondering if both my old and new AGS switches are bad?

UPDATE:

The 3-year-old AGS switch tested with infinite resistance, which surprised me because of the fact that the AGS error LED didn't come on right when the system was first energized and then after it was lit, it went out again for a while before coming back on permanently. That sort of flopping back and forth suggested to me that the problem could be more complicated than just a bad switch, especially coupled with the behavior of the display\Service Heater light\AGS LED refusing to shut off when the three-way remote control was turned off. Worst case scenario would have been control board doing weird things. But like I said, the switch itself appeared to be bad, compared to a new generic one I bought for 27 bucks with tax and shipping included. That new switch tested between 0.1 and 3.5 ohms depending on how steady my hands were when holding the testing probes. Swapped out the old for the new and bingo, heater works fine and when I turned the 3-way remote to the off position, now the display and all lights blanked out as usual. I guess the heater keeps the display and LEDs on when the system shuts down with errors so you can see that there is a problem even when you aren't using the heater. Learn something new every day!

Thanks to AJW22 for talking me through this,

Nick in Palm Spring

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.