Hayward Super Pump Leaking

Dolarin

Sep 1, 2023
Southern Illinois
Greetings,

I've read several posts on here regarding this subject. Tried everything suggested. Wanted to toss out an extra detail to my situation to see if it sparked anything new. I had the 1HP motor go out of my 5 yo Super Pump. Bearings I presume. Was not leaking a single bit. I bought a new 1HP Century motor and "go kit" to replace it. Watched a few dozen youtube videos to see the process. Took everything apart and found that the motor plate (extra detail mentioned above) was melted to the motor. Full on deformation. Had to use a hammer to knock it off. So I bought a replacement motor plate off that jungle website, 1 day delivery of course. It seemed as though it was the same as the old one. Put everything back together, new motor plate, old seal plate, old impeller, new seals all around. Fired it up and everything seemed fine. Came back out the following morning to a puddle under the pump. Flashlight and inspection mirror showed it leaking out the hole at the motor plate. I've disassembled and reassembled the whole mess now about 6 times. Also bought and replaced the shaft seal again. Still leaking. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the new motor plate and old seal plate aren't jiving enough to allow that ceramic seal to do it's job? I'm willing to buy a new "drive train" if that's what's needed but man, I'd like to avoid the cost if it's something else. Thanks.

Greetings,

I've read several posts on here regarding this subject. Tried everything suggested. Wanted to toss out an extra detail to my situation to see if it sparked anything new. I had the 1HP motor go out of my 5 yo Super Pump. Bearings I presume. Was not leaking a single bit. I bought a new 1HP Century motor and "go kit" to replace it. Watched a few dozen youtube videos to see the process. Took everything apart and found that the motor plate (extra detail mentioned above) was melted to the motor. Full on deformation. Had to use a hammer to knock it off. So I bought a replacement motor plate off that jungle website, 1 day delivery of course. It seemed as though it was the same as the old one. Put everything back together, new motor plate, old seal plate, old impeller, new seals all around. Fired it up and everything seemed fine. Came back out the following morning to a puddle under the pump. Flashlight and inspection mirror showed it leaking out the hole at the motor plate. I've disassembled and reassembled the whole mess now about 6 times. Also bought and replaced the shaft seal again. Still leaking. Any thoughts? Is it possible that the new motor plate and old seal plate aren't jiving enough to allow that ceramic seal to do it's job? I'm willing to buy a new "drive train" if that's what's needed but man, I'd like to avoid the cost if it's something else. Thanks.
Heat could have easily deformed the sealplate enough that it won't seal properly. They also can crack where the seal is inserted. Very hard to see at times, but the pressure in the pump can be enough to open it.

So I bought a full drive train. Hayward OEM. Installed it. It ran for about 4 hours with no leaks. Then it started leaking again. Same place. It's slower than before, but still there. Any other ideas? Everything is installed per every instruction I can find. Didn't touch the faces of the pump seal. Nothing over torqued. My pool is green so I'm letting it run for the night. Had to shock it. At this point I'm just trying to get it clean enough to close. But this is about as maddening of a thing I've every dealt with. I appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks.

Maybe the housing is cracked?

Maybe you are installing the seal incorrectly?

There is a part of the seal that is often left behind that people do not know to remove.

Maybe the impeller shaft is not clean and polished?

Take everything apart and show pictures of everything.

Get the good seal; either a PS-3868 or PS-1902.

Use Seal Lube to install the seal.

1695056589898.png

1695056735188.png
1695056706834.png

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps (1).pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 1
  • USSEALUBE.pdf
    277.3 KB · Views: 1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.