Hayward Progic display panel issues

Thanks guys- it was installed by previous owner (professionally done) but my guess is around 10 or so years old. I mistakenly put LED and I meant LCD display. The pumps still operate on the programmed schedule- it's just gone dark

i'm guessing it's a color graphic lcd? among other things, the lcd itself could just be dead, the driver on the board could be dead, the backlight could be dead... check the backlight - if you hold a flashlight to it (try different angles) can you see anything at all on the display?

oh, and give us the model number if it's got one

hey Will,
Ahh, I assumed you had an AquaPod type thing with a color lcd, and by "gone dark" I thought you meant black.

Does your remote look like this:
https://sunplay.com/products/hayward-prologic-ps-8-white-wired-wall-mount-remote-aql2-ww-ps-8

That one has a 16x2 character display... it sounds like that's what you've got, and that yours isn't displaying anything at all.

We just saw this sort of thing happen to a Pentair Suntouch... if you feel adventurous, crack the thing open and take a look at where the lcd mounts to the board. It could plug in, it could be soldered, or there could be a flexible elastomeric strip connecting it...
1. if it's plugged in, unplug/re-plug it a few times to try and "clean" the connections. you could clean the pins with an eraser, a clean scrubby or 1200 grit sand paper
2. if it's soldered, use a magnifier to see if there are any bad solder joints (any cracked, discolored or different looking joints)
3. if it's got an elastomeric connector, remove it carefully with tweezers (don't touch the ends of the connector), clean the board with isopropyl alcohol and re-assemble. you can also clean the pads on the board with a white draftsman type eraser (i've fixed many dead fluke multimeters this way)

I hope that is more helpful!
Tom

i bet it can be fixed...

i have seen lcd modules die and that's probably the case here, but it could be something else like the lcd drive voltage or contrast circuit has failed. first we need to find out what kind of lcd it is... are there any identifying numbers on it? (or include a photo of it if you can)

does yours have 16 pins? the 2 and 4 line displays used in the Pentair stuff are pretty generic 5volt, 16-pin displays (Pentair uses LED backlit displays, but if there's no backlight there's only 14 pins)... if yours is similar then there are many replacement units that should work.

without knowing what exactly you've got, this unit probably has the same pinout:
Standard LCD 16x2 + extras [white on blue] ID: 181 - $9.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique fun DIY electronics and kits

Tom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.