Hayward Aquatrol No Power No Display Help

halep1089

Jun 22, 2023
South Carolina, US
New to the forum but have been researching the issues with the PCB of the Aqua Trol for a month or so now without any luck. I have done all of the troubleshooting as detailed in the manual but seem to be stumped when it comes to pin 2 and 4 of the display board. I get readings way off from the norm. 22vdc on pin 4. Pin 2 I get nothing. Thermistor looks to be fine. Did a resistance test on it and numbers seems to be good. TP13 I get 5v. R17 I get 24v and 19v on right side. TP14 I get around 3 vdc which seems a little off as this should be 5vdc from what I have researched. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2477.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 15
You have the newest sw r1.47
It is a catastrophe for pin 4 on the dsp bd to have 22vdc. I think this is a user error! Pin 2 is not Earth Ground but a Negative post as opposed to the positive terminal.
This video might help, just ignore the PSU >

Thanks for your input! No matter what I try I continue to get around 22-24 vdc on my multimeter for pin 4. I have referenced that video before in diagnosing what the issue is. Could U13 still be the problem even if I am not getting 0 on TP14? I am getting around 3.7 vdc everytime.

Thanks for your input! No matter what I try I continue to get around 22-24 vdc on my multimeter for pin 4. I have referenced that video before in diagnosing what the issue is. Could U13 still be the problem even if I am not getting 0 on TP14? I am getting around 3.7 vdc everytime.
Can you please take pictures of the voltmeter readings and post them here? How can there be 22-24vdc if the supply line voltage is limited to 5 vdc at TP-13 output from the fixed 5-volt regulator (78M05)?

Reactions: JamesW
Sure. I also took a picture from one lead on post 2 and one on 4. I have replaced the fuse and the pins look perfectly straight. Battery test came back at 1.5v. I don't know much about these just interested in finding the problem as this is just under two years old and Hayward has rejected the warranty request.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are correct 1.5v not sure why it switches to mv when I test pin 4. Will post results.
That's because your VOM is auto-ranging. Be cautious in observing the unit of measurement.
From your 1st post, TP-13 is 5 Vdc which is good. However, if TP-14 and header pin# 4 is 0 volt then most likely the U13 chip failed. When replacing the U13 chip, make sure the pins are soldered properly in place. A loose connection is highly likely to result in losing EEPROM data or getting stuck in Alarm-0 and bricking the pcb. You are warned!

Reactions: JamesW

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.