Hayward .85Hp super pump

Jun 19, 2014
VT
I had to replace my .75Hp Hayward super pump. I received a .85Hp Hayward super pump with a 10ft lift. I was not aware this was coming with the pump can I use this or should I return it for what I had before. Also in the electrical area there are two small black wires that were not on the old one. Could someone tell me what they are for?

Thank you !image.jpg

The wires are not factory installed.

So, that points to it being used in my opinion.

The motor label says to use copper conductors only and the wires look like they are aluminum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really just want to know what the two small black wires are for in the electrical box. They don’t appear to be wired to anything. Can they be removed or do they stay there when I connect the cable wires?
Just remove them.

In my opinion, the pump was connected to power for some reason and then the wires were cut.

Those are not installed at the factory.

I suspect that the pump might have some sort of problem.

The wires are not factory installed.

So, that points to it being used in my opinion.

The motor label says to use copper conductors only and the wires look like they are aluminum.

Are you sure about that?

I bought a new Hayward Superpump motor this spring and it had cut wires (copper) attached like the OP showed. I ordered the motor from Leslies and it came sealed in a Hayward box; all components look brand new with no signs of being used. Even the cut wires/connectors look brand new. The motor is operating normally. Btw, I made sure to buy from an authorized Hayward dealer to preserve any warranty.

I’m pretty sure the previous Hayward motor (purchased from Poolcenter.com) I installed also had the cut leads when I bought it new and it lasted 10 years.

I figured they were connections made at the factory to test the motor?

I just removed the cut wires and connected our existing wires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flboy44
Are you sure about that?
I suppose that the wires might have been connected at the motor manufacturer or at the pump manufacturer to test run the motor or pump.

However, I think that they would just use something like alligator clips that can be connected and disconnected quickly and easily.

Even if they did use these female spade connectors at the factory, why wouldn’t they just remove them so that they can connect them to the next motor or pump?

It doesn’t make sense to connect them and cut them off every time.

In my opinion, the wires probably were not installed at the factory.

You can contact the manufacturer of the motor and/or the pump to ask them.

I suppose that the wires might have been connected at the motor manufacturer or at the pump manufacturer to test run the motor or pump.

However, I think that they would just use something like alligator clips that can be connected and disconnected quickly and easily.

Even if they did use these female spade connectors at the factory, why wouldn’t they just remove them so that they can connect them to the next motor or pump?

It doesn’t make sense to connect them and cut them off every time.

In my opinion, the wires probably were not installed at the factory.

You can contact the manufacturer of the motor and/or the pump to ask them.

That does makes sense, and I was thinking that as well. I wonder what the chances are of getting in contact with someone at Hayward (or would it be Century?…see pic) that would actually know the answer? Reliable information from companies is hard to come by these days, lol.
IMG_1103.jpeg

0.001876%

😆

I contacted Hayward via their website form. We’ll see if they know what I’m talking about and come back with a coherent answer.

Frankly, I’d be a bit upset if an authorized Hayward dealer sold me a used motor (or a refurbished return?) as new. I certainly paid the new price!

I didn’t think to question the presence of the wires since everything, including the wires and connectors (absolutely no sign of oxidation on the connectors/wires), look brand spanking new.

Reactions: JamesW
I had to replace my .75Hp Hayward super pump. I received a .85Hp Hayward super pump with a 10ft lift. I was not aware this was coming with the pump can I use this or should I return it for what I had before. Also in the electrical area there are two small black wires that were not on the old one. Could someone tell me what they are for?

Thank you !View attachment 499200
Test leads from the factory. Used to see it regularly on Hayward single-speed pumps.

Reactions: Hootz and Saturn94

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.