Hayward 3-Way Valve Leaking on one side?

Pkhpool

Dec 25, 2023
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all have the gva-23 see below which is leaking can you point me in the direction of the valve kit and how to thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpeg
    IMG_1358.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1359.jpeg
    IMG_1359.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1360.jpeg
    IMG_1360.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    767.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 12
In many cases, it is cheaper to buy a whole valve and pull out everything except the valve body and just swap it out.

1704574716740.png

1704574752837.png

1704574838104.png

My next question is there any issue replacing this seal kit and not loosing any water thanks all
Is the equipment below water level? If not, you will only lose what is in the filter and maybe a little from the pump. Any O ring kit that will fit a 3-way valve will work on your 3-way valve, Jandy, Pentair, Hayward, CMP, etc. They all use the same O rings.

Is there a how to guide, do I need plumber grease also and the one posted above has large o ring and 2 small is there torque settings for the reinstalling thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ATIE Neverlube Valve Cover & Shaft O-Rings Replacement Fits for Jandy/Pentair Compool 2-Way/3-Way Valves (Parts Numbers: R0487100, 1132, 192039Z, 51016200Z, O-158, O-515-KIT-9) (5 Sets) Amazon.com

These are the ones on Amazon

Two-way or three-way valve, makes no difference, same O rings.
No torque setting, just firm. DO NOT use a power screwdriver to re-assemble. It is very easy to crack a valve body or strip the hole that way, especially one that has been in use a while. Don't give it, "just a little more" when tightening by hand. Same problem. You'll feel when the screw is tight. Be sure to use a small amount of lube on all the O rings.

Thanks poolman makes sense, can I use any plumber grease or is it special and can you see the above link and confirm if they will work .

The pool is below in height of the pool gear by 1ft

... do I need plumber grease also and the one posted above has large o ring and 2 small is there torque settings for the reinstalling thanks?
Silicone grease is a good idea. The gold standard is Aladdin Magic Lube II. Seems pricey, but one tube will do many, many o-rings and gaskets. A thin coating is enough. This includes your filter seal whenever you open it. Some here say it's not a bad idea to replace o-rings every few years and lube the diverter seal inside the valves.

Great question on torque. It's specified as 36 inch-pounds in the only data sheet I have. That's for the bigger 2.5" valve, but the screws look the same. There are just more of them. Be gentle. Stripping the screw holes or cracking something ruins the valve. Trying to fix a leak by twisting hard is a bad idea. It's normally always a bad o-ring or dirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pkhpool
Thanks poolman makes sense, can I use any plumber grease or is it special and can you see the above link and confirm if they will work .

The pool is below in height of the pool gear by 1ft
A pool lube is preferable. DO NOT use a petroleum product like Vaseline. Any O ring set for a 2 or 3-way valve will work, they are all the same, regardless of brand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.