Maricopa, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm having an issue lowering the pH. I've been adding muriatic acid but the test color is constantly a bright red. I purchased a 16 oz bottle of the R-0004: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004155SZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ever since I started using it the pH test comes out a bright red as you can see from the photo. I think I should buy a standard Taylor test kit and see if that gives me a different result to see if I get a different result. Do you think I should keep adding acid?
Current test results:
pH 8^, CH 375, TA 70, CYA 60, Salt 3000, FC 7 CC .5 TC 7.5

The other question I have is when doing the CYA test does the black dot at the bottom of the tube have to be totally disappeared? TIA

IMG_20220625_173259.jpg

What test kit and comparator block do you have?

Reactions: aztony
Shouldn't the sample water be filled to the top black thin line? In this picture, even after adding assumed 5 drops, the level is still low. Please confirm what line the pool water should be filled to for the Ph test in the TF Pro.

Shouldn't the sample water be filled to the top black thin line? In this picture, even after adding assumed 5 drops, the level is still low. Please confirm what line the pool water should be filled to for the Ph test in the TF Pro.

It should but the difference in the pic is minor and will not effect the test results. A little bit over or below the black line does not make a difference.

Reactions: SecoSteve
Not knowing your test kit or the age of the reagents might make this a bit of guesswork. Ideally, you’d have a test that you know is valid. Assuming the test is accurate, looks like your pH is pretty high - over 8.2. I’d dose it with enough MA to lower it by 1 and see if that moves the needle. If you test and dose daily, you’ll eventually see a change, at least I would on my pool.

What test kit and comparator block do you have?

This...

The Taylor K-1000 comparator block uses R-0014 reagent.

1657034573826.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shouldn't the sample water be filled to the top black thin line?
With these color matching tests the water and reagent ratio are unimportant. Unlike titration tests you aren't changing the water with the reagents, so the pH and TC of the sample remains the same. In fact the 5 drops in the instructions are more of a suggestion, some find it easier to read with 4 or 6 drops. Doesn't affect the test, just the vibrancy of the result.

As said though, that color block is calibrated for R-0014, not R-0004.

That doesn't look like the bigger 44ml comparator for that regent, unless Taylor makes the bigger one in OTO kit.
That looks like the Taylor K-1000 that came with my TF-100. I have a K-2005 kit from our Pool Builders that uses the 44ml comparator but that uses the R-0004 reagent. The K-1000 uses R-0014 and the smaller comparator as pictured by the OP.
[edit] Ninja'd by @Toxophilite and @Donldson

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. Well, I feel dumb now. I didn't notice the test kit K-1000 was R-0014. I guess I'm stuck with the R-0004 and will order the correct one. Oh well, live and learn. (y)

Reactions: jark87
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.