Taylor R-0004 versus R-0014

Apr 19, 2012
Tucson, AZ
It looks like I may have ordered the wrong Taylor reagent as a refill for my PH test. I have the k-1005 kit which uses R-0014 and I accidentally ordered R-0004. Can anybody tell me the difference and whether they are interchangeable? Thanks.

So my problem is backwards - I have the K-2006 kit which uses R-0004 and I bought the R-0014 by mistake. Can I just use a smaller sample size, like 20 mL, compared to the 44mL sample that I would use with R-0004? Would the shade of red give me an indication of what the pH is?

By the way, does anyone else equate the color to red wines? A high pH is like an immature fruity wine with lots of purple and pink whereas a low pH is like a well aged Barolo, more of a brick red towards an orangey-red.

Any idea how many more? I do have a little bit of R-0004 left - should I just calibrate and see how the ratio comes out?

As many as you need to get a nice color. The number of drops does not matter, even if you were using the correct reagent. Since the sample is double, then 10 drops should get you close, but more or less is fine.

I am not sure of the direction of this thread but the R-0014 and R-0004 are not interchangeable.

Use the correct reagent for the correct color comparator and you will get correct results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This had been discussed previously and thought Richard indicated that the number of drops did not matter. I would have to search for the source.

EDIT:
It seems that usually the question arises about using the R-0004 in the small pH test block where you only should use 2-3 drops. Here is one example with more links inside: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-bead-on-my-pH?p=429740&viewfull=1#post429740

This post is the opposite concerning using R-0014 in the larger test block which I can not find discussion about. Since we are only talking about the strength of an indicator dye, I am not sure why you could not use more drops.

@mcdickey: some comparison pictures like in the link above would be nice to see what you find out about comparing the colors for different number of drops :goodjob:

The Taylor position is the two reagents are not compatible. I thought it was because the comparator blocks were actually slightly different in color and the correct reagent needed to be matched with the correct comparator block to get the most precise result.

I agree that the volume (number of drops) is not absolutely critical.

I have always felt like the two reagents produced somewhat different shading which was interpreted most accurately by matching it with the correct comparator block.

Ah, I had not seen mention that the comparator blocks might have different shading. Interesting that Taylor has that position when there are quite a few threads here that seem to indicate that the different reagent could work.

The pictures in the link I provided sure make it look like the R-0004 with 2 drops in the small block match the color well ... at least at 7.5 ... although maybe it would not be consistent at other pH levels.

There is an opportunity here where the OP has both reagents and could post up some comparison pictures ;)

I was able to use the Taylor pH indicator R-0004 (for the 2000 series comparator) in the residential comparator that uses the R-0014 reagent. The 5 drops of R-0004 requires 44mL of pool water and the residential unit is 6 mL in size so that equates to about 0.6 of a drop. It took 2 drops to get the same color match with the R-0004 to that of the R-0014 used at 5 drops in the same 6 mL residential comparator. (I goofed and bough R-0004 as well and needed it to work after a bad rain storm last night.) Hope this helps.

I usually hate to post on an old thread but this one is the top hit on Google if you search for R-0004 vs R-0014.

I had the same issue (years later and I still can't find a large size refill for R-0014). However, Phenol Red is Phenol Red and the only real difference between the two is concentration of the solution. I found that with a 6.5ml sample size a ratio of 1 part R-0004 to 2.625 (2 5/8) parts distilled water looks pretty good to my eye. For example, 1 tsp of R-0004 plus 2 5/8 tsp of distilled water will get you close. You can add drops of R-0004 or distilled water as required if the resulting color is a bit too washed out or a bit too over saturated for your eye.

I accidentally ordered the wrong pH Indicator Solution after not paying close attention to the labels.

According to Taylor Technologies Technical Support FAQs,
Interchanging R-0004 and R-0014
You cannot interchange these reagents. They are both phenol red indicators but are different concentrations; therefore, they are designed to be used with different comparator blocks. sureCHECK™ Residential comparators require R-0014. 2000 Series™ comparators require R-0004.

Also the SDS sheet reports R-0004 has 1-5 %W/W Nonhazardous and other components below reportable levels, where as R-0014 has 0.1-1 %W/W

Luckily I caught it in time to cancel and reorder correct product :)

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.