HALP! Poolsitting and Husband is a doofus!

OK so basically the water is going between yellow and green. It's the oddest thing ever. Finally vacuumed the bottom of the pool and it kicked up a lot of stuff and made it murky (dead algae?) Put some clarifier in. Cleaned both baskets (one on the skimmer and one on the pump). Pool def looks better than yesterday, FC is still way above 10, so even if there are critters left I hope they are dead. I am happy. Boy is determined to swim in it tomorrow. I might just watch from the safety of giraffe pool.

GUYS

guys

guys

LOOK at my pool

just look at it

GmP8k.jpg

:cheers:

I have to figure out how to backwash today the PSI is climbing pretty fast now

For back washing and refilling the DE you need to consult the info for that filter. Go get the model number off the filter and a quick Google search should lead you to the owners manual. The procedure will vary depending on the type of valve installed with the filter, but basically you are just going to flush the only DE out to waste and refill with fresh DE. You won't get all of the old out so you only use about 80% of the total DE capacity when refilling.

Have you been "bumping" the filter to keep the pressure down?

Yeah I read the manual and successfully backwashed and replaced the DE in the filter. I had been bumping it but it was going from 18 to 25 psi in a matter of hours so I figured I had better clean it. Took a dip today and I haven't died of anything yet but if I do i'll make sure to have someone let you guys know. :goodjob:

By tomorrow im sure it will be REALLY good. And then we have 2 or 3 days before they come back >________________<

Wow, I can't believe how much work you have put into pool sitting. If I ever have an algae outbreak I'll just leave town and give you a call to pool sit for a couple weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope you realize that at this point you know more about pool care than most people who have owned pools for years. Also, if you had gone to a pool store to get help with your situation, you would be out hundreds of dollars on chemicals and probably still not anywhere near clearing up the mess. Good job!

What worries me is that I doubt your Grand Parents will appreciate the level of work you put into this and the level of competence you can give them if they will listen. Sorry to say they will think they know best and you have done everything wrong...

Good luck with that. At least you have the personal knowledge and understanding of all of us - we think you're done fantastically particularly under the circumstances.

UnderWaterVanya said:
What worries me is that I doubt your Grand Parents will appreciate the level of work you put into this and the level of competence you can give them if they will listen. Sorry to say they will think they know best and you have done everything wrong...

Good luck with that. At least you have the personal knowledge and understanding of all of us - we think you're done fantastically particularly under the circumstances.
I suspect the same as UWV...you may want to consider not telling them much more than what you have too. Then if they like what they see, they might ask...then let them know.

I must say that I have followed this from day one and as a newby I could not give any advice as to the situation. But I can say that you have done your damnest to get this pool right in the short time that you have and I think you have done an exellent job at it :goodjob:
I just hope that your grandparents will appreciate all your effort and maintain the pool with your NOW expert knowledge.
hate to see this pool to bad again :(
Jan

chiefwej said:
Wow, I can't believe how much work you have put into pool sitting. If I ever have an algae outbreak I'll just leave town and give you a call to pool sit for a couple weeks.

Awwww ya'll gonna make me blush! But seriously, if it weren't for everyone being super patient and answering all my noob questions, my pool wouldn't look like THIS:

lSw5F.jpg

:party: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaah :party:

It's still got this seafoam teal kind of tint, but I actually think it's quite pleasing!

Haven't done much since yesterday, haven't even needed to bump. I've just been vacuuming out the iron that's been sequestering at the bottom. Only thing left really to do is get the staining out of the liner from the iron. But since that was Mr. Super Genius's fault, I'm leaving that up to him. I just wanted to swim in the stupid thing.

As for the fessing up part I think all we (and by we I mean HE) is going to have to admit to is the iron, because (and I could be wrong) I doubt he's going to get all staining out of the liner before they get home. They are HIS Grandparents, after all ;) Everything else i'm just going to mum's the word, because *drum roll please*: his brother was using Grandmother's car while they were out of town and smashed up the entire side of it :). Yep. So I don't think I'm going to add to it by going "Oh by the way your pool blew up and we had to do a bunch of stuff but don't worry it's all good now."

I will take my new knowledge with me off into the sunset, where someday maybe when I win the lottery I can use it for my very own pool. And it will be the most well maintained pool EVER

sparklepants said:
As for the fessing up part I think all we (and by we I mean HE) is going to have to admit to is the iron, because (and I could be wrong) I doubt he's going to get all staining out of the liner before they get home. They are HIS Grandparents, after all ;) Everything else i'm just going to mum's the word, because *drum roll please*: his brother was using Grandmother's car while they were out of town and smashed up the entire side of it :). Yep. So I don't think I'm going to add to it by going "Oh by the way your pool blew up and we had to do a bunch of stuff but don't worry it's all good now."

Now that is some kind of welcome home for them... Pool is clear, car is smashed - you guys definately will not get the lecture even with a little iron staining.

sparklepants said:
I will take my new knowledge with me off into the sunset, where someday maybe when I win the lottery I can use it for my very own pool. And it will be the most well maintained pool EVER

Temp pools like the Intext with blow up rings are pretty cheap. Shop craigslist and see what's cheap at the end of this season. Alternately look at Target - they do an 80% clearance on this stuff toward the end of he season if you can catch it.

EDIT: Don't try to maintain one with the built in cheapo cartridge filter however if you can avoid it. The 2650 gallon sand filter is reasonably cheap and much much nicer.

I wish that were even an option, we live back up in the city in Boston, so we wouldn't even have a place to put the thing. We are looking to move out though soon as originally i'm from the country (like, backwoods NH) and really miss just being able to go OUTDOORS without a purpose. Y'know, just to like sit outside and grill or something. You can go outside in the city, but you basically have to have a goal (go out for drinks, or drive somewhere nice, or sit on a lawn, but that lawn has a bunch of other people with kids that aren't your own so you want to hit them). One of these days we will venture outwards, then even if i have an 12ft lawn ill populate the entire thing with a pool. Why not.

sparklepants said:
I wish that were even an option, we live back up in the city in Boston, so we wouldn't even have a place to put the thing. We are looking to move out though soon as originally i'm from the country (like, backwoods NH) and really miss just being able to go OUTDOORS without a purpose. Y'know, just to like sit outside and grill or something. You can go outside in the city, but you basically have to have a goal (go out for drinks, or drive somewhere nice, or sit on a lawn, but that lawn has a bunch of other people with kids that aren't your own so you want to hit them). One of these days we will venture outwards, then even if i have an 12ft lawn ill populate the entire thing with a pool. Why not.

LOL - I have been up that way and I know what you mean. Maybe you should hire yourself out as a pool consultant and fix all those swamps up there...

The pool looks much better :cheers:

Is the stuff on the bottom loose or is it a stain? If it is a stain, lowering the ph, might lift it back off if the stains haven't been on there long, then adding a sequestrant to keep it from re-precipitating again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.