HALP! Poolsitting and Husband is a doofus!

I don't think it's even getting power. None of the buttons do anything. It's still overfilled by about a half inch from beforehand so I wasn't worried about running it overnight. In the morning I was just going to overfill it a little more and let the softened water regen during the day.

[/color]
Swampwoman said:
My hunch is it will turn back on in the morning. I looked up a variable speed intelliflo on google -- there was a pp about it not turning back on if shut off during programmed run cycle or something run -- check page 16. Here's a link: http://www.polytecpools.com/images/pdf/ ... 018-OM.pdf

The green LED light isn't even on.....

husband and his father are digging into it tomorrow.

You need more refreshments...

I'm very sorry for your ordeal and if I could I would gladly lift a cold one in person with you and the hubby in friendly lamentation for your troubles - since I can't - enjoy the virtual one.

Is there a "control center" anywhere? With my setup, everything is controlled by the "Control Center" (Part of the SWG package). You cannot start the pump at the pump. You have to open up the door on the control panel and press the filter button. The pump will appear to have no power, unless you manually press the filter button or the timer kicks the pump on. You could also go into the menus on the panel and change the time so that it is always on, but not sure you would want to do that with the leak that is described.

Good luck!

^that's what I was wondering.
Keep us posted. The odds of it actually being a problem after immediate service should be remote, but I realize the odds have not been in your favor this week. Is the water any lighter from the filtering that was happening until 8 pm?

sparklepants said:
Ok,ok. I got this vacuum deal. It goes in the skimmer kinda, got it. WOOOOOOO. And I poured in the DE and so far so good cause it's not spitting it out yet. Also today I learned that diatomaceous earth burns your skin. Wee!

Ok now when I check the filter, how do I do so and how to I clean it, do I have to open the whole thing up and hose down the grids?

1) DE does not burn your skin. DE is made up of the exeoskeltons (silica based I believe) of small organisims called diatoms. These exoskeltons are very very very sharp on a microscopic level. They "cut up" all sorts of bacteria and other nasties as they flow over it. They also make an effective filter cake for larger particles. As an added bonus they will shred up your mucus membranes or lungs should you inhale a snootfull of the stuff - thats the danger with it. I used to do some work in a greenhouse and we would mix the stuff into the soil. It cuts the skin of all sorts of pests and causes them to dry out and die. It may irritate your skin, but it does not burn it like an acid.

2) When the filter runs, "stuff" gets caked on the fingers that are inside the filter. As stuff gets caked on, the pressure goesup and the filter ability goes down. The caking is not equal over the entire finger structure. When you bump the handle, it shakes the fingers, knocking this suff down to the bottom of the filter. When you turn the filter back on it redistributes, hopefully in a more even pattern (some also may stay on the bottom). Eventually you reach a point where there is so much stuff in the filter that bumping will not help.

3) You can backflush to clear out the "stuff" when needed. You bump first, knocking all the stuff to the bottom. Then you open the vent on top of the filter and the drain on the bottom and flush out all the stuff that is sitting on the bottom. You then have to close the drain, purge the air, and recharge with DE.

4) If you want you CAN remove the top of the filter and wash all of the fingers. This will clean the filter better than just backwashing, but I would not do it if I were you. The fingers can be damaged if handled roughly, it can be tricky to get the top back on (depending on the type of clamp you have) and you do need a large enough bucket to put the fingers in. I do it to mine, but I would not do it to a filter that I was pool sitting for. Backflushing is enough.

There has to be a way to override that pump (makes me love my mechanical timer all the more) because you will need to stop and start it a few times to backflush.

-dave

head gamez said:
Is there a "control center" anywhere? With my setup, everything is controlled by the "Control Center" (Part of the SWG package). You cannot start the pump at the pump. You have to open up the door on the control panel and press the filter button. The pump will appear to have no power, unless you manually press the filter button or the timer kicks the pump on. You could also go into the menus on the panel and change the time so that it is always on, but not sure you would want to do that with the leak that is described.

Good luck!

Bingo. After much searching he found it. It was nowhere you would thought it would be. We found a way to override the system. It's running now. None, as in none of the retailers in the area carry either Jack's Magic nor Metal Magic, even though they are listed on the website as retailers. We are going to have to make do with another sequestrant. After that gets added I guess all i can do is regen the system, backwash when necessary, then wait

Did the pump guy know if the leak was in the pump that was replaced or if it was in the plumbing? Is the pool still losing water level?

Amazon or other source for fast shipping may be an answer to the Jacks question.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HAY GUYS!

Ok, so pump is on, sequestrant administered. I don't know what brand he got what the store had and dumped it in, BUT the good thing is is it's looking clearer as of tonight! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: Had to regen the DE filter once but letting it run overnight. We had a LOT of rainfall in addition to the pool already being slightly overfilled so im not worried about the level. I think the DE burned my skin because I already had lots of tiny cuts on my arm (im a dog groomer) and it irritated that. As far as I know the leak has not been repaired

Ok, so it turns out he DID get his hand on Metal Magic, and thats what he's dumped in the pool. WEIIIIIIIIIIRD thing is, like I said it's DEFINITELY green. It's CLEAR, but it's green. I'm gonna assume though since the MM was supposed to take care of the copper, we are dealing with algae? GAH! POOL! :grrrr:

EDIT:? Clear green can be metal also. The brown yellow was probably iron which is now sequestered but the green is showing through. Maybe from copper?

sparklepants said:
Last post I divulged I used Metal Magic, which is said to take care of iron AND copper

Saw that. Misread that. Woops!

I did read that it can sometimes take more than one treatment. Maybe a picture will help the experts.

:!: I don't know why it looks so brown/yellow in the picture. I swear IRL it's the color of lemonlime Gatorade! either that or i'm going nuts! :!:

Ld7aQ.jpg

I've given up on getting any real use out of the pool, and instead gotten a substitute, overlooking ground zero

ZjQsk.jpg

Ok, i read that elevated chlorine levels mixed with metals can cause a clear green color. Any thoughts as to whether or not that is what is going on right now? We are gonna go to the pool store right now and get some stuff to lower the chlorine, but will wait on some thoughts from you guys as to whether or not thats a good idea to administer it.

I'd let the chlorine come down on its own. Once it gets below 10 ppm, test and adjust PH to 7.2 Once that's done add more sequestrant. Your water looks pretty clear. It's definitely metals causing that tint. With enough sequestrant and low PH, the water should clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.