Greetings from Sahuarita!

mtnoso

Apr 18, 2024
Tucson
Greetings everyone. Middle-aged man (& getting older) with a new-to-me house and pool and doing my best to learn about the pool side of things. I found this site through a bunch of really kind posts over on reddit and decided that I would be best served by actually joining, so here I am. I know so little about the pool, I'll probably be posting quite a few pics (if that's allowed) and questions in the next couple of weeks. We had (and have) a weekly pool service but I'd love to start doing most of that myself. I took care of the pool over the winter and was doing fine but come Spring time, something happened and we went all green. We decided it was time to drain the pool anyway & replace one of the burnt-out lights, so I'm sort of working with a clean slate and am excited about it.
That's all for now. Just wanted to say "hello!" :wave: from the difficult to pronounce and spell Sahuarita.

mtnoso, poolside with a beverage, possibly a book and some baseball.

Welcome to TFP.
Suggest you read
Pool Care Basics
Also, have you purchased a proper test kit? That is a cornerstone of TFP is to test your own water. See
Test Kits Compared
Also, the other cornerstone is to follow the FC/CYA relationship. This will prevent your pool turning GREEN.
FC/CYA Levels

If your pool is currently GREEN, then you need to follow the SLAM Process, however you need a proper test kit before starting that process.

We are here to help and can guide you through the SLAM and proper DIY pool maintenance.

Pictures are permitted. Video need to be posted to YOUTUBE and copy link to the your post.
Look forward to seeing your next post.

Reactions: mtnoso and Newdude
Hey mtnoso and Welcome !!!!

Don't listen to Herman above with his 'pics are permitted' nonsense.

Pics are celebrated, and cherished and 'permitted' doesn't do it justice. :)

Other than that, +1 to all the above.

Good morning HermanTX and good morning to you, Newdude. Thanks for the quick replies and the welcome.

I am currently working my way through the Pool Care Basics and the Test Kits Compared ~ and being initially startled by the prices, but hey, I then remember how much I'm paying monthly and how much money I saved over the winter with my first attempts at cleaning, skimming and making sure all was well, then I calm down.

I'll probably be taking and posting some pictures soon so keep an eye out for me.

Thanks again for the welcome posts.

mtnoso

but hey, I then remember how much I'm paying monthly and how much money I saved over the winter with my first attempts at cleaning, skimming and making sure all was well, then I calm down.
The test kits have vials and cases and a test block that make up a good chunk if the cost. The refills go on sale for $44 each spring which is much easier to swallow year over year.

I'll happily bore you with the rundown if you'd like, but the TFpro (TFPro salt if applicable) is the hands down winner.

Ok I have a minute so I'll bore you with details :

There's 2 price tiers:

K2006 (no C) 2.7x less supplies
Tf100 - 2.7x supplies.

K2006C. Too many CH/TA, not enough FC
TFPro. Sized for how we need to test
*includes $44 stirrer (that you want no matter what)
*really nice case
*guaranteed fresh
*owner available here and always steps in to make things right when needed.

*****either TF kit can be upgraded to salt which includes the $30 salt kit for $20 more. An even better deal for either bracket.

****** either TF kit can be upgraded to the SLAM option which doubles the FC tests. This is great for newbs and those with swamps who will be testing much more at first and blow through the regular supplies.