Greenish cloudy water

Don't forget that the dry CYA is still dissolving in there.

You don't want the CYA much higher than 30.

Sun or not, you're going to use a lot of beach if the water is all cloudy with algae.

Check out the last picture in this thread.
Or this:
attachment.php

Thanks for the sanity check. Two more gallons going in now. I will test in 1 hour to confirm it hit 10. If not, do I immediately do more to compensate for the difference?
Yep.

This is mortal combat. You knock the algae down. And then kick it again and again and again while it's down before it can get up and fight back. Keep kicking until it dies.

If your volume is correct:

64 oz granular CYA = 18 ppm
128 oz liquid CYA = 14 ppm

Total CYA = 32 ppm

Thanks again everyone - here's my CYA recap: I started with 0 in the pool. I bought a 4 lb container of the powdered one and added that to the sock last night. That is 64oz of the recommended 143 oz based on the pool calculator. The size of my pool is 18 x 36 and is average of 5.5 feet deep leaving me with a gallonage estimation of 26700.

I then added only the *one* gallon container of liquid CYA this morning - that was 128 oz of the 370 total recommended by the pool calc. So I went about 1/3 on each of the granulated and the liquid. Am I okay at this point or should I remove the sock? It's been in there approximately 16 hours at this point.

Lorraine

Two more gallons of shock went in about 3 hours ago. Just tested the FC - I'm up to a 7-8! VICTORY IS MINE! At least until the sun comes out tomorrow and it all evaporates again. ;)

So, pool calc showed to add 56 oz (based on an 8 result) of 8.25 bleach but I overshot slightly just to keep it boosted during the night and added the full gallon. I do have a nice little new pile of dead stuff in the bottom part of the pool though, so it's working!!!! So thankful to all of you!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unless you can give us the dimensions. Example:

Shallow end: 12'x18'x4'
Slope: 12'x18'
Deep end: 12'x18'x8'

- - - Updated - - -

I would hate for you to stop the pump during the SLAM.

Jesse -

The greenish brown tinge to the water is still the metal staining (at least I know most of it is). This is standing at the shallow end. Shallow is 3 ft and deep end is 8 ft. So I use the 5.5 average for the pool calculator with the 18 ft w x 36 l measurement. That gives me 26700 gallons. Admittedly, I've always suspected the pool has slightly more volume than that, but I do not have the exact measurements on the slope to be able to recalculate anything closer. (We are renting the house and the owner did not have the pool put in - it was the guy before him.) Any thoughts if I can estimate higher?

You'll notice a small dark spot on the bottom of the pool in the deep end, that's the settled algae from the overnight process so far.

pool full photo.jpg

And one more note based on your ask - the shallow end section is 12 feet long as you mention in your example. That is three feet deep.

- - - Updated - - -

Just confirming, the length of the slope is from where the shallow end stops to where it squares off at the bottom - correct?

OKAY!

Shallow end is 12 feet long.
Slope is 9 feet long.
Deep end is 15 feet long.

NOW - the deep end also is sloped around the edges. So for example if I am in the pool on the deep end, the walls come in a little and slope towards the very bottom. That I cannot measure - I am not getting in it as I would probably come out glowing green given what I've dumped in there in the last 48 hours :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.