Green water

Jillitch

Aug 15, 2023
Lorain, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
This is to make a long story short. I had crystal clear blue water for a month. Discovered a very small leak in the pool, not worthy enough to make a priority to fix. Was just topping off the water when it was looking low. Filter was always able to run. Then one night I fell asleep and overflowed my pool for 5 hours 🤦‍♀️

Ok. Was back to square one. Rebalanced everything. Was told my TA was low and added baking soda. My water was a clear teal. Then the hole got bigger and had to force myself to jump in to patch and the ground was flooding. Had to then refill. Which it got down past filter and sat for 2 days.

It then had a terenchal downpour of rain after I fixed and refilled. In a day my pool was lime green. I shocked it x3. The next day it was dark green, going to black side…..

Took a sample to pool store. They told me everything was balanced except ph was 8. Add low and slow bioguard. I did that and recirculated pump. Within 2 hours pool turned back to the all familiar teal.

I retested water today. TA 80-100, ph 7.8, free chlorine is at least 10 (highest test will read) as well as total chlorine 10 (highest test will read). CYA is 0. I know. So I added stabilizer. I’m hoping that will bring the ph down enough to let this chlorine do something. I am so frustrated. I want to throw this pool away so bad. I can’t afford a commercial pool right now. But this thing has been one headache after the other. Currently have the filter recirculating after adding stabilizer.

Welcome to TFP.
You had a clear pool a month ago which is great that you know what the objective is. It is a crazy summer with your area having a lot of rain and majority of South having excessive heat. We all have out battles with pools.

I would suggest the first thing to do is ditch the test strips. Need to know more precise measurements when it comes to pool testing. Please consider looking and purchasing a proper test kit. Test Kits Compared

At TFP we live by 2 critical foundations - test your own pool water with a proper test kit and understand the CYA/FC relationship to have a properly sanitized pool. With proper sanitation, you will not have algae blooms.
FC/CYA Levels

Suggest you bring your CYA up to 30 or no more than 40. Then purchased about 10 gallons of Liquid Chlorine at Walmart or Home Depot. You need to pour about 1 1/2 quarts (48 ozs or 3 pints) of LC in the pool until you get a proper test kit and also while increasing your CYA level.

Then you will need to follow the SLAM Process. This is a proven method to kill algae but it takes some time to test your FC and maintain what we call a SLAM level FC for several days to clear the algae.

If you are up to that, we can help you and get you back to a clear and well sanitized pool.

Welcome to TFP.
You had a clear pool a month ago which is great that you know what the objective is. It is a crazy summer with your area having a lot of rain and majority of South having excessive heat. We all have out battles with pools.

I would suggest the first thing to do is ditch the test strips. Need to know more precise measurements when it comes to pool testing. Please consider looking and purchasing a proper test kit. Test Kits Compared

At TFP we live by 2 critical foundations - test your own pool water with a proper test kit and understand the CYA/FC relationship to have a properly sanitized pool. With proper sanitation, you will not have algae blooms.
FC/CYA Levels

Suggest you bring your CYA up to 30 or no more than 40. Then purchased about 10 gallons of Liquid Chlorine at Walmart or Home Depot. You need to pour about 1 1/2 quarts (48 ozs or 3 pints) of LC in the pool until you get a proper test kit and also while increasing your CYA level.

Then you will need to follow the SLAM Process. This is a proven method to kill algae but it takes some time to test your FC and maintain what we call a SLAM level FC for several days to clear the algae.

If you are up to that, we can help you and get you back to a clear and well sanitized pool.
So checked next day my cya was 40 and free and total chlorine 5/5. Water is a murky teal. It rained again today. I’m over it 😡

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.