Green pool

Your HTH kit pH test is only good to a FC of 5 ppm. It is inaccurate if FC is above that.
If i buy the tf-100 the ph test it has looks exactly like the one i have, is there anything else it has that gives an accurate ph reading while above 5ppm fc? Just wanting to be sure before ordering & it also be an inaccurate ph reading due to high FC

Attachments

• IMG_3744.png
    IMG_3744.png
    430.2 KB · Views: 3
I recommend laying some groundwork about how much you’d save with an accurate test kit and how she’ll be able to enjoy the pool more! That’s how I convinced my husband when I decided to fire the pool guy.
Haha, ill lay her the news while she’s peeling away crawfish this weekend

The FC side of that block test isn't reliable, or accurate. The test kits come with a k1515 without the box, which will be the primary way to test FC. Once you're a pro, the 'do I have chlorine' test in the block may be good enough that day when you already know you're OK.

The FC side of that block test isn't reliable, or accurate. The test kits come with a k1515 without the box, which will be the primary way to test FC. Once you're a pro, the 'do I have chlorine' test in the block may be good enough that day when you already know you're OK.
Ohhhh so just the FC is inaccurate but my Ph reading will still be accurate correct?

Ohhhh so just the FC is inaccurate but my Ph reading will still be accurate correct?
Yes. Ph is valid to 10FC, which you can't test with the block. 🤦‍♂️:ROFLMAO:

If you have all the same components, such as the K1515 (regardless of the box it sits in) and the proper CYA / ta / ch / ph tests, we are all on the same page and it's like we are standing beside you to test. We legit help folks around the world on the daily, providing we're looking at the same map. (y)

Yeah getting into this i didnt think a little above ground intex pool would be so much work, wife but off and now im chewing, but mknaus says my ph wont even read accurate if my fc levels are higher than 5 with my kit, so im gonna just go ahead and order a kit and tell her about it after it arrives
It is 13500 gallons of water.
We tell folks with pools under 3000 gallons to just use a basic kit like yours but drain if the pool goes cloudy.

The HTH pH reagent is not made for use in FC above 5 ppm. The Taylor reagent is made for FC level to 10 ppm.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The HTH pH reagent is not made for use in FC above 5 ppm. The Taylor reagent is made for FC level to 10 ppm.
Ohh okay that clears things up, so what if my FC is higher than 10? How do i get an accurate ph reading, do i just have to wait until my fc comes below 10? Or does cya level play apart? Im at 45ppm cya

Hi Jay, and welcome to TFP. I've been in your shoes, as has almost everyone on this site. There is light at the end of the tunnel as long as you're' willing to see it, as well in trust in the 10's of thousands of new friends you have just discovered. You seem to have the right attitude to become a "TFP pool pro."

FWIW, our pool holds the same amount of water as yours. I have the TF-100 test kit and it's a cinch to use; even I can do it! I buy all the chemicals I need to routinely run my pool from the grocery store (20 Mule Team Borax, Baking Soda), the hardware store (Muriatic Acid,) or Walmart pool section (Liquid Chlorine and CYA, aka stabilizer.) I'm probably forgetting something, but those are my normal go-to's for pool care. I have been on TFP since 2018, and the most I've spent on pool care so far is right around $100 per year, excluding electricity. It takes about 10-15 minutes to do my tests, at the most. Faster than you can get to the pool store and back, right?

Jump in with both feet! You'll never regret it. You have my permission to share this post with your wife, btw. :)

A while back, our friend Newdude wrote a great primer for pool testing for newbies. Perhaps he will post a link to it for your use. Extremely enlightening, plus hilariously funny! (He told me so himself.) Just kidding. ;)

Best of luck to you and your family with your new pool. Have a great summer!

Reactions: itsjayy225
Hi Jay, and welcome to TFP. I've been in your shoes, as has almost everyone on this site. There is light at the end of the tunnel as long as you're' willing to see it, as well in trust in the 10's of thousands of new friends you have just discovered. You seem to have the right attitude to become a "TFP pool pro."

FWIW, our pool holds the same amount of water as yours. I have the TF-100 test kit and it's a cinch to use; even I can do it! I buy all the chemicals I need to routinely run my pool from the grocery store (20 Mule Team Borax, Baking Soda), the hardware store (Muriatic Acid,) or Walmart pool section (Liquid Chlorine and CYA, aka stabilizer.) I'm probably forgetting something, but those are my normal go-to's for pool care. I have been on TFP since 2018, and the most I've spent on pool care so far is right around $100 per year, excluding electricity. It takes about 10-15 minutes to do my tests, at the most. Faster than you can get to the pool store and back, right?

Jump in with both feet! You'll never regret it. You have my permission to share this post with your wife, btw. :)

A while back, our friend Newdude wrote a great primer for pool testing for newbies. Perhaps he will post a link to it for your use. Extremely enlightening, plus hilariously funny! (He told me so himself.) Just kidding. ;)

Best of luck to you and your family with your new pool. Have a great summer!
Thank you! And i am already working on the polyfill bucket method that mknaus pointed me to for the links dealing with iron, and i can actually say 4 hours in and i already see a difference!

Reactions: kul and Newdude