Green Pool in OKC - Getting ready for Weekend Attack

Walmart in the Pool Section.
Its called Stabilizer and Conditioner. Walmart carries HTH which a lot of us use, but any brand is fine.

You dont need both liquid and dry. Pool math says liquid OR dry... Just get the dry. Liquid is expensive and not as potent as the dry.
get 2x .. over the course of the summer, teh CYA will probably drop a bit from backwashing, rain overflow, splashout etc.

It doesnt go bad either, so if you dont use it all this year, you can carry it over till next.

Divin Dave, super thanks!

Ok, got another question. I started thinking about algicide and went searching the forum and found this thread, and this comment:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/5063-What-is-algicide-used-for
"There are some (actually very few) cases where an algecide is needed"

I have not seen anyone recomend algicide on the threads when dealing with a green pool, so was wondering if this was one of those rare occasions. I assume not.

Right. No algaecide for you! (sorry so late).

Once you get your pool cleaned up and sparkly, if you will keep your FC level relative to the CYA level, there is no need for any supplemental algaecide. The chlorine will be algaecide enough.

As a FYI about those... Almost all algaecides contain copper.
Copper can leave stains in your pool, and turn blonde hair green. I wont even go into trying to fix THAT problem! thats a whole new subject.

We only recommend an algaecide in certain situations, such as chemical baths when fc NEEDS to be 0, and only then, never use a algaecide with copper in it.

OK getting started a little late, had to work late last night. The great cover reveal.....

Day 1 Start 5-16-2015.jpg

Good news is it is just suspended dirt, the bottom is just dusty. Am I wasting money by trying to SLAM today? I am going to vacuum the water down a bit first. But should I wait until the water is not brown, till the filter has had a chance at it a bit before starting the SLAM process?

oh my.
Have you done anything to stir it up? Brushing? Pump Running? whatever else? or is this how it was immediately after removing the cover?

Even with it so dirty, you still need to run a set of tests as a starting point.

Go ahead and get the water to the correct level, get the pump running and get full set of test results after the pump has had time to fully mix the water. Report back with the results, but adjust pH to 7.2.

Use Pool Math to figure the amount of chlorine to bring the pool up to around 10. Add this, wait 30 minutes to an hour and re-test to see how much chlorine you lost and the CC. The result will let us give an opinion as to the possibility of ammonia before you bring the CYA up.

To both of you... that's how it was after the cover came off, we have had massive rains here in OKC flash flooding, etc, but the bottom is just dusty I believe, from testing it with the leaf rake. I believe my PH is 7.4 so we did not by anything to bring it down. I will get to vacuuming down the water and working on it and will get back with my test results in an hour or so, depending on how long it takes me to get it up and running..

Oh, and by the way, I said to my wife, holy cow they already responded... She said, ARE YOU SERIOUS!! Thanks guys

We want you to be the pool guy of the family! You really need to get the pump running and mix the water to get good readings. Especially with lots of rains you may have nice 7.4 water on top and yucky water lower in the water column.

Your doing good, keep it up!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! What a color! This will be a great transformation. I'm going to get some popcorn so I can watch from here in the cheer leading section. :)

LOLOLOLOL

tim5055 said:
We want you to be the pool guy of the family! You really need to get the pump running and mix the water to get good readings. Especially with lots of rains you may have nice 7.4 water on top and yucky water lower in the water column.

Your doing good, keep it up!

Yeah around here, I am the gardner, the mechanic, the carpenter, and... I'm the pool boy.

Here are the first results...

FF / CC = 0 Big surprise there
CH = 150
TA = 100 (going with 100 because at 90 it was light pink)
CYA = 20 to 30 (at the 30 mark we thought we could not see it but then we thought we might be immagining it.) Clown and Leslie's said it was 20, but clown is only 18 has other things to worry about
PH = looked to be 7.2

Continuing with sweeping and vacuuming, will begin to add chemicals in about 30 min or so.

That is going to be fun to watch it clear. Your filter is going to get a work out for sure! Make sure your gage works and keep an eye on it.

Do you have any DE to put in the filter when you are getting close to the end of the SLAM? It will help filter out the fine stuff.

Kim

Hummmmm, well things might go on hold here, we have run into a small problem. Over the winter the thermostat line on the pool heater developed a bulge and has sprung a leak. It was leaking all over the guts and electronics of the pool heater. I need to fix figure out how to fix it before I can start the SLAM, its actually causing the heater to want to start for some reason and I had a strong gas smell all over the back yard. So I am going to get lunch and then fix the leak and by that time I am going to be off to a wedding, might be until tomorrow that I can actually SLAM the pool.

Below is a picture of my hottub, it had a thin film of dirt on it, so I think that is what is at the bottom of my pool. I do have a question about what I am in for here. If you look at that picture, you can see lots of spider cracks and some parts where there is some darker concrete or something coming through the white plaster. The pool is liner, but the hottub is plaster. What does this mean for me, can I live with the hottub like this? How much would anyone guess it would cost to replaster a 4 by 8 hottub?

Hot Tub.jpg

That is broken :( Time for a new one. TFP has a good one that will last for a LOT longer than the one you can buy from Lowes or such.

Have you turned off the gas line to stop the leak? Scary stuff there!

Good luck fixing that.

Kim

That is broken :( Time for a new one. TFP has a good one that will last for a LOT longer than the one you can buy from Lowes or such.

Have you turned off the gas line to stop the leak? Scary stuff there!

Good luck fixing that.

Kim

Darn, well thanks, looks like I am going to lowes or leslies then, I do not have time to order one online. I have to go to lowes anyway as I have to get a new pipe for the heater.

oh my.
Have you done anything to stir it up? Brushing? Pump Running? whatever else? or is this how it was immediately after removing the cover?

Even with it so dirty, you still need to run a set of tests as a starting point.

Wow! What a color! This will be a great transformation. I'm going to get some popcorn so I can watch from here in the cheer leading section.

With responses like these, still "no" on the Flocculant? I am thinking I can get the dirt on the floor so I can vacuum it up faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.