green pool, high copper questions

It also seems like you do not have the recommended test kit.

You need a FAS-DPD test kit and you need to test for FC and CC and you need to maintain the levels as the SLAM process describes.

If you have a pool service, are they working on this at the same time or are they waiting for you to get the pool under control?

Something is very wrong. You cannot perform a SLAM process using a pool service and having a free chlorine level of zero. That’s why everyone is confused about what’s going on.
I absolutely can! This process is a process and it is working. I am testing daily and learned that my cya is low and was told that it could be what is causing my fc issues.

I absolutely can! This process is a process and it is working. I am testing daily and learned that my cya is low and was told that it could be what is causing my fc issues.
As previously stated, daily ain't enough. You should be testing hourly and never let the FC drop below SLAM level. Every time you let it fall to -0-, all your gains are for naught. A Taylor kit does not test for 1/2 the items you listed, so not sure where you are getting your test numbers from, but sounds like pool store results and/or test strips.

Reactions: JamesW
It also seems like you do not have the recommended test kit.

You need a FAS-DPD test kit and you need to test for FC and CC and you need to maintain the levels as the SLAM process describes.

If you have a pool service, are they working on this at the same time or are they waiting for you to get the pool under control
I think I need to retell my story in full instead of bits and pieces. I have a 15.5 gal diamond bright pool that I maintained effortlessly since 03, my pool took a turn for the worse with pump issues, my jandy equipment broke and maybe some restoration issues as well as heater problems. The pool turned green and usually that is not a problem to fix. I added in my usual super shock deal and it seemed to be getting worse. I took it for testing at my local Leslies and they said it was high on copper 2.5, I then tried copper removing products bc I was concerned with staining. That wasnt helping so I went to test at several different places for the copper and it was high. One place that I tested said they could fix the green, so my being exhausted after being unsuccessful hired them. They told me that I needed to treat the copper first but when they came out they did they dumped 4 jugs of chlorine in it and said it would much better the next day. I posted on here as the start of the slam, and added 2 jugs the following day and then another they 2 jugs the day after. When it still wasnt holding and chlorine I spoke with them and they said it was my phosphates and added remover. Which did finally lighten the pool. I kept adding shock and taylor tested yesterday and was dismayed that I still have no fc and posted here. I have not seen or heard from the pool service and am wondering if I will. I understand how this story can be confusing but I am taking your advice but just need a little more.

I think I need to retell my story in full instead of bits and pieces. I have a 15.5 gal diamond bright pool that I maintained effortlessly since 03, my pool took a turn for the worse with pump issues, my jandy equipment broke and maybe some restoration issues as well as heater problems. The pool turned green and usually that is not a problem to fix. I added in my usual super shock deal and it seemed to be getting worse. I took it for testing at my local Leslies and they said it was high on copper 2.5, I then tried copper removing products bc I was concerned with staining. That wasnt helping so I went to test at several different places for the copper and it was high. One place that I tested said they could fix the green, so my being exhausted after being unsuccessful hired them. They told me that I needed to treat the copper first but when they came out they did they dumped 4 jugs of chlorine in it and said it would much better the next day. I posted on here as the start of the slam, and added 2 jugs the following day and then another they 2 jugs the day after. When it still wasnt holding and chlorine I spoke with them and they said it was my phosphates and added remover. Which did finally lighten the pool. I kept adding shock and taylor tested yesterday and was dismayed that I still have no fc and posted here. I have not seen or heard from the pool service and am wondering if I will. I understand how this story can be confusing but I am taking your advice but just need a little more.
The group of people helping you here have cleared more pools by at least 100x, maybe 1000x than all of the people you spoke to from other places, combined.

I think we have consistently said, "get a test kit" and follow this process:

Print it out, read it three time. It is a process. It requires time and attention, but it works. Putting 2 gallons per day is not a SLAM.

I have a 30K gallon pool. I used about 40 gallons over 8 days when I first came here. I tested and replaced liquid chlorine every 2 hours, 20 hours a day. I tried everything the "Pool Store" told me and NONE of it worked. A proper SLAM is the only reliable way to clean up your pool. The only other way is to drain and replace the water. That has the potential to damage the liner and the pool. NOT recommended.

Took this picture during my SLAM. Not to scare you, but to demonstrate you are not slamming.

I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
The group of people helping you here have cleared more pools by at least 100x, maybe 1000x than all of the people you spoke to from other places, combined.

I think we have consistently said, "get a test kit" and follow this process:

Print it out, read it three time. It is a process. It requires time and attention, but it works. Putting 2 gallons per day is not a SLAM.

I hope this helps you.
I need to raise my stabilizer to proceed. thank you.

Reactions: Newdude
I would also like to point out that if the 0 CYA result came from the Taylor test, your chlorine will burn off almost as fast as you can add it during sunlight.

Step 1 is to get the FC up so you don't lose more ground in the battle.

Step 2 is to protect all that chlorine you're dumping in (keep it up in the meantime). Then it will be available to do its thing instead of being further wasted.

Every 2 hours you want to test and bring back to SLAM. We all have life in the way so we get it, but do the absolute best you can to hit it as often as you can.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I need to raise my stabilizer to proceed. thank you.
Because your pool is so bad, and you lose FC so quickly, do one more thing before you add stabilizer: add enough chlorine to get your FC to 10ppm. Circulate for 15 minutes, then test FC and CC only, and report back.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because your pool is so bad, and you lose FC so quickly, do one more thing before you add stabilizer: add enough chlorine to get your FC to 10ppm. Circulate for 15 minutes, then test FC and CC only, and report back.
thank you! Can you tell me what is a good cartridge filter to use? I always used Hayward but am told that it is an inferior product.

thank you! Can you tell me what is a good cartridge filter to use? I always used Hayward but am told that it is an inferior product.
Cartridge filters are a commodity. They are all about the same.

You need to ask who told you that why Hayward is an inferior product.

Agsin you are looking in the wrong place to solve your problems.

bc I plan to sell the house I do not want to put i
Cartridge filters are a commodity. They are all about the same.

You need to ask who told you that why Hayward is an inferior product.

Agsin you are looking in the wrong place to solve your problems.
Well, its because I bought one and it didnt last.

You mention baking soda and raising CYA. These two items have NOTHING to do with each other.

You seem to be not understanding the directions given. Is English a second language to you? Perhaps that is complicating things?

We haven't seen any test results from an test kit we trust. We do not trust pool store tests results. Please obtain a test kit with an FAS-DPD tester. One source is- www.tftestkits.net You could have this in days if you order.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You are not following their advice at all. The results you posted from the “Taylor Kit” were not done with your own home testkit. Good luck and know that people here will still help you when you start helping yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.