Got Algee For First Time - HELP!!!

OK, I am getting frustrated! Here are my readings from this morning:

FC = 41
CYA = 150

This pool is 90% full now and after it was drained down to 12 inches in the shallow.

So, how in the world could the CYA still be so high!!! What do I do now?!?!?!

Yesterday, before the drain, pool math said that that I had to drain 68% of my water to get CYA from 250 to 80. Well, I drained more than 68% and I did not even get close. Obviously, there is something wrong here if my CYA is still at 150!!!!?!

Didn't you have a post a day or two ago that you thought CYA was 250 or higher? When the diluted test reads at max it can be much higher. We have seen cya at 300, 400 or more. Now that you have a reading that isn't at the top of the range you are in good shape. Drain about half to get down to 70-80 and you will be good to go. Nice work!

Hi,
Thanks for the encouragement but, yesterday when I started my drain, I did the diluted CYA test it was in the 200-250 range. So, this still does not make sense to me since I did at least a 75% drain. According to conservative estimates from pool math, I should be at least down to a 75% CYA. I wish someone would have told me to just drain a little bit more and I wouldn't have to do a 2nd drain!

I so feel for you :hug: I was in the same boat as you BUT I did not know about TFP :( The pool store kept telling me "Oh just drain a couple of inches of water and add this and that. You will be fine." My liner developed a kind of "dry rot" even with water in it. It cracked all over the bottom and all of the water rushed out almost taking me with it :shock:

I refused to get another pool. My husband really wanted one so when he found TFP I gave it another try and LOVE my pool now!

Saying all of that.............I bet your CYA was even higher than thought. Drain it again. It WILL get easier when all of the levels are within range.

Your pool will look like a jewel and be oh so much easier to care for.

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You aren't the only one, many, many folks have been frustrated after being pool stored. But, you are in the right place now and your CYA won't ever be that high again without you knowing how and why.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance. The bad news is that my CYA is still 120 but it came down from around 250 or higher. The good news is that the SLAM worked and my pool is now back to crystal clear and blue.

The last part I need help with is determining what is a safe chlorine level so that we can get in the pool again? Currently, the TC is 25.

That is awesome to hear! I would love to see how the pool likes now! Does it shine like a jewel :sun:

You can pay it forward by becoming a supporting member. It helps us keep the lights on to help you and others when needed.

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

I would love for you to stick around and jump in on threads to help out. You have been there, done that so.......

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.