GFCI Trips with nothing Connected

Jun 14, 2017
michigan
Hello all! I have had to replace either the start and run capacitor nearly every year. The pump started running on high only when I decided to close it this spring. I just filled the tub and confirmed that it was still only running on high. While letting it run for a while to add some pipe cleaner the GFCI tripped. I checked the run capacitor and found it to be bulged out at the end and disformed. I replaced it. Now the GFCI trips instantly. I have removed all connections and it still trips. This disconnect box was put in less than a year ago. Any reason why the capacitor would become bulged out at the top. Is the GFCI damaged and unrelated to the capacitor issue? The motor is well past replacement age but I am holding out to replace the entire tub. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Show us pictures of what you have done, the wires you have removed, and the GFCI.

@RDspaguy may have ideas.

I doubt the capacitor damaged the GFCI. I think you messed up the wiring when you were in there.

Show us pictures of what you have done, the wires you have removed, and the GFCI.

@RDspaguy may have ideas.

I doubt the capacitor damaged the GFCI. I think you messed up the wiring when you were in there.
Have not changed any wiring. Replaced disconnect last year and used tub all winter. We have a pool so I dont run it in the summer. It was running a few days ago (on high only) with no issues. Came back to find it tripped and it continues to trip. I have unplugged motor, heater, light, and Ozone and GFCI is tripping instantly. I have replaced start capacitor but now cant get it running to confirm both speeds are working. Appreciate your help!

Well you can buy a new GFCI CB and see if it works although I doubt it. But I have been wrong before over the net.

Have you had it rebuilt (bearings and switches)?
Do you have the right voltage to the motor, and it's wired correctly?
Post pics of equipment, circuit board/control pack, and wiring diagram so I can see what you've got there. You told us nothing about your spa.
No work has been done to the motor. No wiring has changed since it ran all last winter. It ran for a couple hours last week when I opened it. Since the 1st post, I have now disconnected everything from the GFCI and it still trips. Guessing my wallet is headed to the store.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Post pics of equipment, circuit board/control pack and wiring diagram.
Post manufacturer and model number/name of your spa.

Yep, it would seem. My concern is the capacitor issue, which is a symptom of something and it's probably not the gfci. I suspect the gfci is a symptom too. The fact that it ran for a period does not mean it is wired correctly, as motors can run for various times on the wrong voltage or miswired before showing any issues, like blown capacitors for example.
Keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.