Nazareth/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I recently installed a new Hayward VSP super pump and a Circupool RJ60+ SWCG. I have both units running off of the pump's breaker. Its the original GE 20 amp GFCI. (23 year old breaker)
The idea there is that if the pump loses power, the SWCG also does and is therefore not relying solely on its flow switch to kill the chlorine generation. It's wired properly. 2 hot leads on the breaker go directly to the pump. White pigtail on the breaker goes to the Neutral busbar. Ground wire on the pump goes directly to the ground busbar. Bonding lug on the pump housing goes to the bonding 8 gauge wire at the pad. The pump runs 24/7. I had no issue for the first 9 days then yesterday that breaker tripped for what I am assuming is a ground fault trip because the current never went over 5 amps. No rain, weather was dry. So, that's a mystery. I have an amp clamp on the panel monitoring 24/7. So I know the voltage max/min and the current mx/min. The house main panel already has a Siemens FS140 SPD and the pool panel has an Intermatic PS3000 SPD. I reset the breaker and it has been running fine again for the past 24 hours. No more trips. Do these new VSP's generate any sort of issue that would cause false GFCI trips? Is there a recommended brand of breaker to use with this setup? I have never had a GFCI trip before with the old pump. So this has me concerned. My fear now is that when I go away on vacation, it will trip again and I'll come home to a swamp.

Do these new VSP's generate any sort of issue that would cause false GFCI trips? Is there a recommended brand of breaker to use with this setup?

Harmonics from the variable frequency drive can cause false GFCI trips. Pentair PA220GF is a 20A 240V GFCI breaker that GFCI trips at 6ma. The PA220GF is supposed to be less sensitive to false GCFI trips from VS pumps.

The PA220GF is a relabeled Siemens CB (QF220AP). Siemens added additional shielding to help resist false trips. Some say Pentair may have additional quality control and selects breakers less susceptible to false GFCI trips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.