Getting beat down by Mustard!

Larry H

Apr 19, 2024
FW, TX
Hello Folks!
We fired the pool guy at the beginning of the year. My GF and I have been doing a good job at cleaning and thought we were good on chemicals. Lately we have been trying to get rid of mustard algae and have been getting beat. The mustard algae was present when we fired the pool guy but it has been persistent.

We thought we would be good with the Clorox chlorine tabs/shock with testing Leslie's AccuBlue.
Keeping the pool clean and clear really hasn't been a problem. We are good with sweeping, skimming and emptying the baskets.

So far two rounds of Yellow Out and shock, Pool RX, lots of sweeping, vacuuming to waste, just threw in PoolRX Booster a couple of days ago and we still have the sandy stuff coming back.

From what I've learned here so far is our CYA could be part of the issue. AccuBlue test from 4/13 says 68.
7.4 FC and 7.4 for TAC (CC)

We have really liked the AccuBlue tests but not completely sold on it. Every time we test we have to get it to connect to the app. Gets really frustrating having to do that.

My GF Veronica told me to check out SLAM.
So here I am going down the rabbit hole to learn more. Liquid Chlorine!

Any help or encouragement would be welcome!

Hey Larry! Welcome to Trouble Free Pools! Give your referring friend a big adult drink for telling you about TFP.

First of all...can we get a picture of what you're calling "mustard algae"? How does the water look?
The reason I ask is that you have added many pool chemicals we dont want people to use, because they add a TON of copper. Copper builds up and can make awful stains on the pool surface. That Pool Rx is Copper also. While copper does help *fight* algae, it does nothing great for sanitation. Chorox Blue tabs are also copper filled. The Yellow Out usually adds ammonia which isn't good either.

The good news is we help folks all over the world care for their pools successfully.

We believe in pool owner testing, using a reliable drop tester which gives you results that are repeatable, and simple to use. We won't suggest the Leslie's device or their in-store testing ever. I personally don't trust Leslie's as the results tend to be all over the place and often just suggest something they can sell you. TFP'ers buy their chemicals (what few we use!) at the hardware store, Walmart, your local grocer, all cheaper and the very same chemical. The best example I can give you is "Alkalinity Increaser" which is nothing more than Baking Soda! You can buy huge huge bags of it at most grocers or Wallyworld much cheaper than Leslie's.

I use the TF-Pro Salt test kit to test my fiberglass pool- it contains every test you need in one kit. It's pricey but the drops are good for about 2 years and I just get refills PRN. Others here use the K-2006, with a salt tester to care for their pools. Those are the devices we recommend. The K-2006 is found on Amazon and some pool stores (don't buy the 2005 version) and the TF-ProSalt is from www.tftestkits.net. Either of those will save you a TON on the chemicals you won't buy by poor advice. When you test you need to know the following levels- (tell us in this format for ease of reading)
FC (free chlorine)
CC (combined chloramines)
pH
TA (total alkalinity)
CH (calcium hardness)
CYA (stabilizer level)
Salt level

Please make out a <Signature Line> describing your pool, its size, equipment in use and how you normally sanitize. You can find it under your screen name.

Pool Care Basics

Looking forward to reading your next post-

Maddie 🇮🇹

Last edited:
Hey Larry and Welcome !!!

Lately we have been trying to get rid of mustard algae
Says who ? Mustard algae is very rare, but it's an easy out for the pool store /service who was unsuccessful using the "dump and pray' method.

Their method is the problem.

You need your own reliable test kit if you'd like to go after the root of the problem, instead of just throwing expensive chemicals at the problem hoping one works. The pool store hopes you continue with dump and pray, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: mgtfp
Atleast your girl is on your side with suggesting the SLAM and bringing you here so that battle is already won! Get a proper test kit and start reading pool school until it comes in.

Welcome to TFP.

Reactions: mgtfp