Bronze Supporter
Jun 21, 2018
Arlington, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need an opinion. I just hope I can provide enough information so the assembled wise folks here can form one (or two).

My signature has the details of my pool configuration. The initial estimate to resurface the pool, replace the tiles and the coping was a Really Big Number. So I asked about just fixing the tile, and the concrete underneath, which had cracks presumably from ice expanding. The tiles have been falling off since I bought this pool (which came with a house) 22 years ago.

The estimate for just the tile is $12,000 less than the Really Big Number. So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth shelling out an additional $12,000 for the full refurb. The pool surface looks to be in decent shape. No cracks, just some discoloration here and there. In either alternative, the pool has to be completely drained, which I imagine will be a large expense. At least refilling it will be a large expense.

Here's the list of what is included with the full refurb:

1. Pump all water from pool to commence work. (Town requirements if any TBD, Water to refill pool is not included in proposal).
  2. Provide labor to remove & dispose of caulking along top of existing tiles in pool to allow for new tile installation.
  3. Provide labor to remove & dispose of all water line tiles along entire pool.
  4. Perform visual inspection of structure behind tiles for any deficiencies. Up to 16 hours of beam
    damage repair included. Over 16 hrs. $185.00/hr. (Minor repairs are included in proposal,
    structural damage will be additional).
  5. Prepare surface for new tile instillation.
  6. Prepare pool interior for new plaster finish. Chip around light (s), main drain (s), floor cleaning
    heads & returns. (SED includes removal of up to 5% of loose & hollow plaster during preparation of resurfacing a pool. (Additional removal will be at a rate of $185.00 per hour).
  7. Apply multi scratch coat to existing plaster for bond.
  8. Supply & install new 6’’ wide frost-proof waterline tiles to prepared surface along entire pool.
    (Choice of tile from S.E.D. selections).
  9. Apply Sika commercial grade non-slag caulking along top of new tiles.
  10. Apply smooth white plaster finish to pool interior.
  11. Provide labor to remove & dispose of existing coping along entire pool & install poured in place
    concrete coping with cantilever edge.
  12. Provide labor & materials to remove diving base & fill holes with cement.
One question is: What do you think the Really Big Number estimate for this work should be? I'm in the Boston area, if that's a factor.

Here's the list of work for the tile-only option:

1. Pump all water from pool to commence work. (Town requirements if any TBD, Water to refill pool is not included in proposal).
  2. Provide labor to remove & dispose of caulking along top of existing tiles in pool to allow for new tile installation.
  3. Provide labor to remove & dispose of all water line tiles along entire pool.
  4. Perform visual inspection of structure behind tiles for any deficiencies. Up to 16 hours of beam
    damage repair included. Over 16 hrs. $185.00/hr. (Minor repairs are included in proposal,
    structural damage will be additional).
  5. Prepare surface for new tile instillation.
  6. Supply & install new 6’’ wide frost-proof waterline tiles to prepared surface along entire pool.
    (Choice of tile from S.E.D. selections).
  7. Apply Sika commercial grade non-slag caulking along top of new tiles.
Another question: Does anyone see anything lacking, or excessive, in the work to be done that was put in with the estimates?

For a little context, I'm attaching some pics of some of the areas where the tile needs work.

Thanks for any help... I'm out of my depth (no pun) here!

coping.jpeg2022-06-05 16.20.14.jpeg2022-06-05 16.18.48.jpeg2022-06-05 16.18.41.jpeg

You weren't very specific but I'm assuming the full reno is $24,000 and the tile only reno is $12,000.

Get more estimates..... these are really high.
Hi @sktn77a ... thanks for your reply!

I purposely haven't revealed the Really Big Number so as to not bias anyone's estimates. I really want to get more estimates, but no one will get back to me, except this one outfit! I had two other outfits say they were sending someone over, but never arrived, and I never got a follow-up from them, even after I reached out to them first.

I'm not sure how to find a "good" pool builder, but clearly I'm going to have to be more proactive in pursuing them. I remember when the contractors were going after business rather than the business going after them.

Oh, and your guess for the Really Big Number was Really Close! 😁

Thanks again!

Just to bump this up a bit... Ignoring the cost, what should I look for to tell me I have to refurbish my plaster, as opposed to letting it go?

Thanks!

Be patient, these guys are going to get theirs soon, when demand dies down! They clearly want to stick you for the whole job which is why their price for the tile alone is probably twice what it should be. Plaster is a little more difficult to estimate but should probably be less than $12000.

Reactions: PoolEric
Be patient, these guys are going to get theirs soon, when demand dies down! They clearly want to stick you for the whole job which is why their price for the tile alone is probably twice what it should be. Plaster is a little more difficult to estimate but should probably be less than $12000.
Thanks! I've been very patient, but I think it's time I be a little pro-active.

in addition to my other post, Triad is the go to for cantilever concrete decks. Did you try them? Andrew’s outsources concrete decking to triad. Every job is different, but your pricing doesn’t sound outrageous for the current times. Labor is a huge problem for the pool companies, and you know materials are sky high at the moment.

Reactions: PoolEric
in addition to my other post, Triad is the go to for cantilever concrete decks. Did you try them? Andrew’s outsources concrete decking to triad. Every job is different, but your pricing doesn’t sound outrageous for the current times. Labor is a huge problem for the pool companies, and you know materials are sky high at the moment.
The pricing doesn't sound outrageous...? This confuses me now... Though the other opinion is from NC, where costs are probably less than here. 🤷‍♂️

The pricing doesn't sound outrageous...? This confuses me now... Though the other opinion is from NC, where costs are probably less than here. 🤷‍♂️

Well yeah - its outrageous - but everything is and it seems like market pricing at the moment. Its 3 years too late for competitive pricing. unfortunatley. I know my pool buil costed about 2x what it would have costed in 2019.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.