Waterproofing tile conundrum

pcollins22

Aug 7, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
I am nearing the post-shotcrete phase of construction and my head is spinning in regards to what’s actually recommended for waterproofing and use of thin set for waterline tiles, etc. I am having anxiety thinking that my tiles will be falling off in a few years and trying to do all I can to prevent this!

Below is a reply the tile guy I am planning to use sent me after I asked what he plans to do for “waterproofing”.

Does this sound appropriate?

For reference, we will be using porcelain waterline tiles for pool/spa, porcelain spillway tiles, water-rated ledger stone wrapping the spa.

949747F8-9507-4C15-9053-EDEFA5D4AD4F.jpeg70B4BD21-8F57-449C-AB2F-8ABEBB10C61F.jpeg4DCCB808-DB7A-468B-A03C-2C7AB2A46F39.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Planiseal 88 sounds like a good waterproofing product…

The proper techniques for applying thinset and tile is as important as the materials used.

Order of product installation is also important. Whatever waterproofing, mortar, and tile adhesive is used, get the manufacturer literature so you can confirm proper order and products are compatible. I found out after the fact that my tile guy put the basecrete waterproofing on the shotcrete and it should have been on top of the mortar.

I went overboard and used expoy tile adhesive (latapoxy) and epoxy grout (spectralock pro premium).

Reactions: pcollins22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.