Fri started to notice some green

I put in another 29oz of stabilizer last night on top of the other 22oz. Have I really messed it up now? worried!!! I will be gone for a few days first of week and my very preg daughter and husband will not know what to do. So I need to make sure it will be stable enough for me to go. NO choice.

Pegarcoop51 said:
I put in another 29oz of stabilizer last night on top of the other 22oz. Have I really messed it up now? worried!!! I will be gone for a few days first of week and my very preg daughter and husband will not know what to do. So I need to make sure it will be stable enough for me to go. NO choice.
Unless you have a swg (saltwater chlorine generator), poolcalculator gives 36 ounces by weight or 38 ounces by volume for your 5455 gallon pool.

linen EDIT: just noticed you have a swg. 51 by weight or 53 by volume will get you to 70 ppm cya...sorry about that.

Pegarcoop51 said:
Should I take the sock out?
[s:3pqa61n4]Yes[/s:3pqa61n4]No (see edit).

ok, its fun doing the testing. Hope I did it right this time. FC - 13.50, CC- .50, CYA-25, TA-130, PH -7.5. going to go to calculator now but would appreciate hearing from some of you experts on the readings. My pool looks alot better. Not completely clear yet, but going the right direction. I dont see any green. Any suggestions?

ok, its fun doing the testing. Hope I did it right this time. FC - 13.50, CC- .50, CYA-25, TA-130, PH -7.5. going to go to calculator now but would appreciate hearing from some of you experts on the readings. My pool looks alot better. Not completely clear yet, but going the right direction. I dont see any green. Any suggestions? Did calculator. It only told me to add more stabilizer but I have alot in my sock yet, so that takes care of that. Problem is I see I went down 3 numbers on my FC since yesterday. According to overnight test, it should be 1 or less. Does this mean I still have algae?

Pegarcoop51 said:
My pool looks alot better. Not completely clear yet, but going the right direction. I dont see any green. Any suggestions?
Keep shocking until you pass all three criteria (also in my sig), one of which is crystal clear pool water.

Pegarcoop51 said:
Did calculator. It only told me to add more stabilizer but I have alot in my sock yet, so that takes care of that
No need to test the cya again until a week after it has dissolved...it can take awhile for the granular stuff to show up on test. Don't add anymore, you should be just about right.

Pegarcoop51 said:
Problem is I see I went down 3 numbers on my FC since yesterday. According to overnight test, it should be 1 or less. Does this mean I still have algae?
Was the 3 ppm drop while the sun was off the pool? Is the swg off for now, especially when doing the OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok so I still need to add bleach even tho my number is above 12? Wont test cya again for a week after dissolved and no< I go to work at 3am so was not able to test it until 2pm. Fri night will be a better test as I dont work Sat and can test it earlier. Sun was on the pool all day. yes th swg is off.

so I did my test for this morn. Unfortunately my FC went down more than 1. It is 10.5, CC-.50, did not test CYA, TA-200, and PH 7.5. So although my pool looks fairly good, it did not pass according to the 3 tests. Pool calculator says put in bleach.(40oz) My question is this. What is the normal FC for my pool or how do I find that out? And since I put in a 14 FC needed in the pool calculator then is that correct? Gotta leave tomorrow eve and dont want to lose everything I have already done. Thanks okay, did some more reading. checked the CYA/pool shock chart. I am not sure why I thought 14 was what I needed, but I just tested my CYA and it says 40, so according to my chart I need FC to be 16 not 14. So I guess I need to redo pool calculator? Could someone please give me some info or help on this. I am getting thoroughly confused and desperate. Thanks

I redid my pool calculator for a FC of 16. It says I should shock with 62oz of 6%. This is according to my CYA today, but what about my CYA when I started? Do I raise my FC number just because my CYA is higher today? Or do I stay with what it was when I started all this?

Your FC target should go up as your cya goes up. My method is to wait a day after my cya leaves the sock in front of the return, then assume it is all in there and then I use the target cya value I was shooting for to calculate my FC level. This eliminates testing everyday, and sometimes cya can take up to a week to show up fully on test.

ok but according to the three tests on overnight my FC went down too much, so does that mean the algae is not really gone, just hidden and will start growing again while I am gone? Do I need to go ahead and shock it the 62 oz tonight? Im sorry, Im confused.

Yes, you are still fighting algae, keep going with the shocking process. You new shock FC level is 16 since you have higher cya.

What was your target cya value, and how long ago did the cya you added go into the pool?

Pegarcoop51 said:
while I am gone
How long are you going to be gone?

the first time I put in stabilizer it was 22 oz, then when I did pool calculator couple days later, It said add 29oz again, so I have put it all in. It is all dissolved. Not sure what my CYA is supposed to be or I dont remember. I will recheck. I dont always have a good memory. Something to do with chemo effect. Sorry. Writing it all down so I remember better. In the beginning, I did not have any chlorine at all in pool. I also had no stabilizer. Another person who talked me into the salt told me that was all I needed. Dummy me. SoI was going by the pool test the store did and it said I needed anywhere from 30-150.Wide range. Reading my paper, it says outside and with swg I should have CYA of 70-80. I am going to go test this again. I poured about 1/2 bottle of bleach in late last night. My son in law can pour some in each eve if I need it. All of the Cya dissolved as of yesterday. I leave this eve and will be back Wed. eve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.