Fri started to notice some green

I just ordered test kit. Will take a few days. Is there anything else I need to do? My daughter is having a baby Wed and I will not be here for a short while. Dont want to lose everything I have already done. Thanks

Pegarcoop51 said:
ok, but I can only brush from the outside, right? Dont want to disappear in there. LOL Also, I have not put in any bleach since last night, so I need to start again with a qt every 4 hrs. Right?
That's what I'd do. And test it before you add the bleach - if FC drops down to where your tester works, you'll need to add more than a quart.

just tested my pool. I only tested chlorine because I figured that was most important until I get the kit. It was still really yellow and above 5. I also can see thru the water. When I swept the bottom, it was moving what looked like white., I do not see any green but could be hidden. I am sweeping sides and bottom from outside pool. Anything else I need to do? will put another qt bleach in about 7.

day 3 - waiting on test kit, still reading, reading and reading. My water looks just white cloudy. I do not see any green when I sweep now. Does this mean I can quit adding bleach. My test kit I have does not go higher than 5 so not sure of #. I am hoping pool will be clear by Sun at latest. Should I keep adding bleach til I get the kit or can I stop? or should I now do the overnight test to see? My WM kit does not show a CC test? any ideas. Thanks

I just tested pool water. My Cl (on wm test kit) is on the red side of color. My ph is 7.2. My sock is almost empty.Well, according to the ABC's I cannot use the ortho test if I have algae. Maybe my ph is lower because pool store had me add muriatic acid. Should I now add borax to raise it or leav it until I get new test kit? I know you all said on other peoples questions that TA is not important at first, so I guess I just leave it for now. It just rained here, so should I go ahead and add even more bleach or not? Would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

Hi Pegarcoop51,

Don't test pH for now, you can only do a pH test when the chlorine level is below 10ppm and without your FAS-DPD kit you really can't be precise with the standard color match kit.
You can use a dilution method, use 1 part pool water with 1 part of distilled water then double the #'s on the reader, some have even tried 3 to 1, but that's getting really out there with the reading being accurate.
Yes, I would continue to add bleach, more so during the day.
Keep brushing and run pump and filter 24/7 for now, if you have to leave the pool throw in the floater with a puck in it.
I also would vacuum and clean filter a lot too.
A slightly out of whack pool is easier to adjust than a green, algae or dead algae, and cloudy pool.
We can adjust pH, TA, CH and CYA can be fine tuned after pool has cleared up when you have your TF-100 test kit.

Chuck

Keep adding bleach, regularly. When you get the kit, things will go much smoother, promise. POP on the kit for you!

I wanted to check though, you are running your filter full time, correct?

Can you tell us exactly how much CYA you added to the pool? Also, can you tell us about the salt you put in? When did you add it, and how much did you add?

Hang in there, you're in good hands here. We'll get you up and running as soon as possible. In the meantime, please take a little time and read through some of the other threads here about green pools, cloudy pools, and SWG pools. There's a lot of questions answered in these threads, questions you don't even know that you have right now. Well worth the time to read through.

Additionally, it's safe to swim at or below shock level. You can get into the pool if you want to brush from inside. I'm not sure you're actually at shock level anyway. If you were maintaining it at or above shock level, I think you'd be seeing more improvements, sooner. That will be remedied soon when the kit arrives, no worries.

Are you still having problems with the pool calculator? Did you make sure to set it up at the bottom, for a vinyl pool, TFP Goals, and for SWG chlorinating? If not, do that. Enter your volume at the top (measure the depth, then plug that into the calculator at the bottom for an accurate volume). Then, in the left column you enter in your "NOW" values (test kit tells you this - most you can get from the HTH you already have). In the right column, enter in the value you want to reach. Now the calculator calculates for you. If you hover over a value in the results area, it will show you volume quantities in the two wide fields. Hover a bit, you'll see it pop up.

yeah, got my kit. Gonna go out and test in a min. Yes, have been running my pool filter 24/7 but not running my SWG. Altogether I have put in about 12 qts of bleach. Not all at once. I also put 22 oz stabilizer in sock. My pool is starting to look better. I have not tried the pool calculator again. Will go out and do tests and then try again. I take it the only way I can know if my algae is gone is to do the overnight test. Is this correct?I put in approx 30 lbs salt last Fri and Sat. When I upgraded my pool filter, I lost some water so had to add salt. I put the gallons of water that is in my pool book in the calculator along with how big. Will check this out again. Thanks. Going out to have some fun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
man, not sure if I am doing this right or not. my FC is 1.70,(took 34 drops) my CC is .25,(5 drops) TA is 180, CYA is 20, but I could still barely see black dot., Do I need to test for anything else? Why is my Fc so low or am I doing it wrong? thanks

oh, well Dr told her yesterday that she is not ready to be induced yet. He was going on vacation and he gave her option to have it today, but no go. It is a little boy. He will come when he is ready. Thanks for asking. Here is my results now. FC-17, CC-2.5, TA-180, CYA-probably around 10, PH- 7.4. Pool calculator says add 9.2 oz borax, and 29 oz stabilizer. No bleach or anything else. Do I add them together or diff times?

I must say that everytime I read the posts or the pool school I learn something new. I have now refilled my sock in my pool and also put 9.2oz of borax in my skimmer. I see no green in my pool, but tomorrow if it doesnt storm, I will get in and scrub from the inside. Was worried about high chlorine. I am going to give these chemicals another day before I attempt the overnight test. Any suggestions? I am learning alot. Thanks

Hi Pegarcoop51, :)
I'm not sure were to get salt strips. Got mine from tftestkits.net. Hopefully somone can chime in.
Another question I have is this a blowup ring pool?
This is what I got from using a standard AGP sizes.
I put in 18' round and 3.5' (42 inches/normal fill is -6" from size/ for your 18x48) in the pool calculator and got closer to 6700 gallons not 5455 gallons as you stated.
With your CC at 2.5ppm, you have to stay at shock level. I know the CYA won't really show up in a test for about 6 days or so. So if we think the gallons of your pool is 5455 and you say you added 22 oz of stabilizer, this should put you very close to 30ppm CYA, even though we may not to be able to test it yet, but it's in the water if the sock is empty. The gallon size is confusing me right now, as you will need a lot of CYA to go online with the SWG in time, not to be concerned at getting it that high until pool is cleared and done with the shocking process and passing all three tests.
Following this Chlorine/ CYA chart here from Pool School:
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
If we use 30ppm as your CYA # shock is at 12ppm FC.
So you good at 17ppm for now, as long as you keep testing and do not let it fall below
12ppm EVER.
Do not worry about pH readings, as we can not test it now because the chlorine is above 10ppm. Once we have you pass the 3 tests and let the chlorine drift back down we can adjust it then.
Same for the TA. When pool is clear and healthy we can lower that closer to 80-100 with muriatic acid and aerate the water.

Chuck

I guess you would call it a blow up pool. It is an easy set intex with the blue ring you blow up around the top. I was looking at my book and that is where I got the 5455, but it is 18 by 48 so it probably is more water than that. So I added the last amount of stabilizer and the borax. Are you saying I should not have added the borax. I will do the calculator again with your amount of water as soon as I test it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.