New Orleans
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I have had my CircuPool RJ-45+ for a year, and the maintenance light has never come on. I do see some scaling on the cell, not completely, just some. Right now it is not generating much chlorine (my chlorine level is down to 1 PPM running at 50%, whereas it had been around 4ppm to 6ppm running at 25% to 30%). My CYA had gone down to about 50ppm but I just added two lb stabilizer, but I don't think that is enough of a decrease to justify the low output. My salt level was at 3200ppm and I just added one 40 lb bag of salt which should bring it to 3500 to 3600 ppm. I am thinking the maintenance light is inop. What is a regular cleaning schedule for a swg cell like mine?

On a second note, my pool temp is currently 86 degrees, and my Taylor salt test would not progress past the murky yellow to the salmon/brick end point, no matter how many drops I added, so I got my salt readings from a sample I brought to the pool store. Is there a temp range the test doesn't work? Should I wait for the water sample to cool to room temp?

(Added note, we have had near one month of temps in the 90's, a lot of it 95+ here in the deep south)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my CircuPool RJ-45+ for a year, and the maintenance light has never come on. I do see some scaling on the cell, not completely, just some. Right now it is not generating much chlorine (my chlorine level is down to 1 PPM running at 50%, whereas it had been around 4ppm to 6ppm running at 25% to 30%). My CYA had gone down to about 50ppm but I just added two lb stabilizer, but I don't think that is enough of a decrease to justify the low output. My salt level was at 3200ppm and I just added one 40 lb bag of salt which should bring it to 3500 to 3600 ppm. I am thinking the maintenance light is inop. What is a regular cleaning schedule for a swg cell like mine?

On a second note, my pool temp is currently 86 degrees, and my Taylor salt test would not progress past the murky yellow to the salmon/brick end point, no matter how many drops I added, so I got my salt readings from a sample I brought to the pool store. Is there a temp range the test doesn't work? Should I wait for the water sample to cool to room temp?
Did you accidentally use 25ml of water for the salt test sample? It’s a common mistake I’ve made more than once and that’s what happens when you do that.

If your CSI is managed to stay slightly negative, then there may never be a need to clean the cell but if you see scaling now, try spraying water through it or use a popsicle stick to clean it.

You need to do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test at target 🎯 fc levels to rule out algae lurking & consuming your fc.
It would have been best to do this before you raised cya. In the future oclt first.
If you see visible scaling on the cell try the methods Bperry mentioned first before resorting to vinegar or diluted acid as cleaning the cell with acid removes some of the coating on the cell & shortens its life.
How & when to clean swcg cell👇
Here’s how to manage your high ch & csi to prevent scaling going forward.

Reactions: Bperry
I bet it's the CYA. I'm in full sun in NY and 70 is barely keeping up these days.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (swg off) to prove no organics eating the FC

Then run a reverse test seeing how much you *produce* overnight. If you're producing OK with no UV, it's the CYA.

If you aren't producing well overnight, then clean the cell with vinegar.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks all. The reason I had not done the OCLT is because combined chlorine has been consistently zero until yesterday it was .5 p-pm when I saw the free chlorine was at 1 ppm. I added a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine this morning to bump up the chlorine level to a normal range, and will check the cell closely and use a less invasive cleaning method that the acid, as suggested. I did add 2 lbs stabilizer and 1 bag of salt yesterday to get everything in line. I will test everything later today.

Back to the original question: what is a typical (ballpark average) cleaning schedule of a SWG cell?

Back to the original question: what is a typical (ballpark average) cleaning schedule of a SWG cell?
I never have. Keep the chemistry proper, TA in the double digits, and CSI between -0.3 and 0, and you should never have to 'clean' the SWCG.

For that part of pool maintenance as with most other things it’s not about a particular schedule, rather do what needs to be done when it needs it in your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.