Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2021
Longview, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We have some extended freezing temps coming to east Texas later this week. It looks like a full 2 days below freezing and one night in single digits. Is there anything I should do beyond letting the system run the whole time?

Is there anything I should do beyond letting the system run the whole time?
Consider covering exposed pipes and equipment if possible as a back up. Be prepared to drain the pump pot, heater, and filter ASAP if your area looses power for an extended period of time. Fingers crossed power remains constant to keep everything moving.

For the heater, I would likely just open up both unions and let it drain.

Also, find the drain plug on your filter housing. I didn't see a picture of it up there.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have blankets over all the equipment and plumbing, it’s sunny out. What’s the consensus on how long I have before I make the decision to drain everything or wait for power to come back?

What’s the consensus on how long I have before I make the decision to drain everything or wait for power to come back?
Temps will start to really crash again by 5:00 pm. I would say by 3:00 pm you should commit one way or the other to give yourself enough time to prepare.

Pump ran all night with no power interruption. My new dilemma is the pressure gage went from 20 psi to about 28 overnight. I’m assuming the filters are stating to freeze similar to if they were dirty? We get a small break today going above freezing for a few hours. Hopefully that helps

Pump ran all night with no power interruption. My new dilemma is the pressure gage went from 20 psi to about 28 overnight. I’m assuming the filters are stating to freeze similar to if they were dirty? We get a small break today going above freezing for a few hours. Hopefully that helps
How much wind did you get? We had a LOT of wind and I had to clear the skimmer basket about once an hour. Eventually, I had to shut down the pump and clear out the pump basket of some wind driven debris. My pressure had gone up a little bit and I attribute that to the excess debris. Once I cleared the filter pot basket, the pressure returned to normal. Not saying that is what is causing your pressure increase, it's just a thought/idea. How cold is that pool water?

Reactions: Newdude
It’s pretty frozen and I didn’t want to put too much pressure. Should I use a hammer to open the lid?
No.

Pour hot water on it, put a heat gun on it, or forget about it. You are as likely to add to the damage as save it.

How much wind did you get? We had a LOT of wind and I had to clear the skimmer basket about once an hour. Eventually, I had to shut down the pump and clear out the pump basket of some wind driven debris. My pressure had gone up a little bit and I attribute that to the excess debris. Once I cleared the filter pot basket, the pressure returned to normal. Not saying that is what is causing your pressure increase, it's just a thought/idea. How cold is that pool water?
Pool water is 38 this morning. Pump basket has some debris so I’ll help it out a little and clear it

Reactions: HeyEng

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.