Fountain Leaking backwards under deck

Yup, that is one of my ideas. Hoping the glue will melt the PVC and seal the leak. My concern is the dirt around the joint may keep it from sealing. You need to clean the area well.
Here it is! (Pretty sure). I do not know if the fountain has a female recepticle to it or male so I don't know if this crack is part of the fountain or more pvc pipe going into it. If PVC pipe I might be in better shape.

Attachments

• IMG_7335.jpg
    IMG_7335.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7334.jpg
    IMG_7334.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 9
I'm not fond of the glue method. If it works you may be in there again in a day, weeks or months and I'd give that repair max 50% shot. Cut far enough back but leave enough to connect back on to. The last coupler if worked slowly can have slots cut lengthwise and work the pieces off slowly. Clean it up well and then plan the fix. I'd most likely use a union of sorts in the fix.
Please see picture I just took. I am trying to figure out how pipes connect to this. Do they insert into the fountain or attach by coupler and the fountain has a male component. Thats why it crucial I know the item I am dealing with.

So if those are thread then maybe the fountain is intact. If they are not threads the fountain is cracked. So how to proceed: 1) glue but high risk of failure 2) cut pvc near the blue dot 3) other

There can't be a answer until you take it apart and only then can a plan be in place. If it were me that would be my plan first. I have some reservations but plan A needs to be executed first.
IMG_7339.jpg
where it connects is in pretty rough shape the more I expose and I would have expected to see some remnant pipe in the fountain at the top of this picture if was a fracture within a female connector. So i am guessing this is a lip that broke. If a lip is there any other option than glue?

I see what looks to be threads. Cut beyond the coupling and see if it can be carefully unscrewed. Look at it this way, the way it's now isn't usable anyhow. When you cut support ver well so not to break it anymore.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One last observation question in terms of deciding if cracked part is piece of fountain vs pipe. I am very new to this but every time I have seen a cracked pvc pipe the edges are very smooth. This looks raggedy like its a different composition. If you think this observation is without much meaning then I will cut.

One observation I have that it's thread is because in the deeper portion of the thread the wall/thickness is thin and a break like that would be likely. Like I said cut beyond the coupling and try carefully to unscrew. There have been similar successes with various pipe issues with good outcome. If it's threaded then that piece can be dealt with to unscrew the broken part which to me would be the best outcome.

Reactions: william13
1714924666256.png
I would cut at blue first. If I thought it was likely the fixture has female insertion. I may have made those "thread marks with my box cutter as I scrapped away glue" I am on the fence. On one hand I do believe glue will probably not work as "W" poins out. On the other hand if I bet against it and cut and unscrew I may lose that opportunity. Again knowing what my fixture is would be invaluable but I cant find anything exactly like it on internet. I have not seen these fixtures with female connectors. Have any of you?

Cut first yellow then the red. First cut gives most support and second cut makes some room for work. If you unscrew and use up that space then you'll cut in the crack and the rest come out by hand.
Screenshot_20240505_120527_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I think I found a replacement typing the numbers "48" brought me to this product.
I need to study it to see if its the same. If so its male and I do not think it will unscrew. I do appreciate all advice and would love to hear if you think I am stubborn headed and should still proceed with removal.

1714928698141.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support