Flakes in the pool

Thanks for everything so far. I tried the signature thing and I turned off my swg until tomorrow evening when I will check my fc again. I still have this in my pool everyday for 2 or 3 months. Care to coment?

IMG_2350.jpeg

Signature didn't show up.

I don't know what that is. You're referring to the floaties, right? I've never observed what's in front of my light at night, so I can't compare.

@mknauss?

What kind of filter do you have?
When is the last time you cleaned it?
How does the media look? (Sand or condition of cartridges, depending on filter type.)
Does anything collect in the skimmer basket(s)?
Or in the pump basket?

Out of curiosity, I just went out and looked, with my pool light on. I see maybe a handful of specks, like the size and shape of household dust particles. And the filter pump has been off for four hours, so I think that's probably normal. Nothing like what you're seeing, for comparison.

That, of course, is the kind of stuff the filter pump is supposed to corral. So I suspect an issue with the filtering. Either it's not sucking up enough water, or your circulation is bad, or the filter is malfunctioning (like if a cartridge filter had a big tear in it). The only other explanation I can think of is that the water is receiving a constant supply of that gunk and no amount of filtering can keep up with it.

Hmm, maybe one test would be to run your filter all day, into the night time and see if it's still there at the end of the filter run. If it's gone each day, after the filter pump stops, then comes back each day while the filter is off, then you've got a constant supply of it coming in and you'd have to figure out from where and stop it, or run your filter a whole lot more.

If it's still there no matter when or how much you run your filter, then you might have a filter or circulation problem. At which point you'd disassemble your filter and have a look. (We can't give better advice without knowing what kind of filter you have. Keep working on that signature. Try a laptop or desktop computer.)

You can test your circulation with dyes, or a simple test can be done with ping pong balls. If they ride around in a big circle in your pool and end up in the skimmer pretty quickly, that's good. If they collect in one spot and never make it to the skimmer, that's bad. You can't really rely on this test unless the air is relatively still, so pick a calm time of day/night.

Last edited:
Oh, does that gunk stay still in front of the light when the filter pump is on? Or can you see it moving towards the skimmer or drain (if you have a drain that is active)?

I wonder about biofilms in the pipes. Florida pool, warm water, etc.

Ahhhsome makes products for pools that might be worth a try.

Reactions: Dirk
I think I fixed my signature if you want to have a look.
I have a Pentair CC75 cartridge filter, new filter in October. I clean the filter every couple weeks but it’s never that dirty, it does collect the normal amount of grit and specks of dirt, hair and some specks of white. I just cleaned it last weekend. It looks healthy. The skimmers don’t catch anything that small just the normal debris, the pool is screened in. Pump skimmer is the same way. I tried basket socks but someone told me I shouldn’t use them. They did collect more of the specks.
The specks I see at night are traveling pretty good when the pump is on and when the pump is off they seem to settle down to nothing in a few hours. I vacuum before the pump comes on in the morning but the stuff is back at night. There seems to be a lot of minute bubbles mixed in also so small like dust.
The specks of whatever have been there every night for months now. Maybe I should just stop turning the light on at night?
I have had several pool companies look at it and all the neighbors but no answers.
Pool circulation is good I even replaced the center core of my cartridge filter because it was loose months ago.
I value your opinions and thank you for your help so far. Maybe I need another kind of pro to look at it not just a pool company. Any suggestions on that front. Can I attach a video here somehow?

Last edited:
Use skimmer socks (hairnets are a cheap alternative) if they catch the material.

Otherwise look at a biofilm treatment. Search Ahhhsome.

Reactions: Jwwagner
Oh, does that gunk stay still in front of the light when the filter pump is on? Or can you see it moving towards the skimmer or drain (if you have a drain that is active)?
Dirk, when the pump is on the junk moves around the pool quickly towards the skimmers. Unfortunately most of the stuff is submerged so the top skimmers don’t see that much. I don’t have a main drain. My four pool inputs are pointed slightly upwards and cclockwise around the pool, same as all my neighbors. Water move well.

This is out of my wheelhouse. Sounds like the filter should be in order, but you might try inspecting the cartridges more closely for rips or tears. With a screen enclosure it seems that it can't be stuff floating in on the wind. Maybe others here will have some ideas. Do your neighbors have this stuff in their pool? Either do or don't would be a clue.

You might start a different thread for this gunk issue. Many here will skim over a thread title like IntelliChlor IC 20.

@mknauss, can he start a new thread, or can you move some of the posts here to a new one?

FYI:
- skimmer socks (or hair nets as Marty suggests) are fine on the skimmer basket. You would not put one on the pump basket, that might be what you were being warned about.
- "Inputs" are referred to as "returns," as in: you have four returns.

Still no signature. The signature field has a Save button. Are you seeing it, and using it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jwwagner

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PS. I clean my filter once a year (and sometimes lie about that). Others twice a year or four times. Your filter is smallish, so it might need more often. Just be aware that it is the cleaning that wears out cartridges more than anything else. Blasting them with water or scrubbing them, etc. Don't use a pressure washer, and clean it only when it needs it. A slightly dirty filter actually filters better than a clean one.

This is out of my wheelhouse. Sounds like the filter should be in order, but you might try inspecting the cartridges more closely for rips or tears. With a screen enclosure it seems that it can't be stuff floating in on the wind. Maybe others here will have some ideas. Do your neighbors have this stuff in their pool? Either do or don't would be a clue.

You might start a different thread for this gunk issue. Many here will skim over a thread title like IntelliChlor IC 20.

@mknauss, can he start a new thread, or can you move some of the posts here to a new one?

FYI:
- skimmer socks (or hair nets as Marty suggests) are fine on the skimmer basket. You would not put one on the pump basket, that might be what you were being warned about.
- "Inputs" are referred to as "returns," as in: you have four returns.

Still no signature. The signature field has a Save button. Are you seeing it, and using it?
Tried to fix signature again, let me know. Neighbors say no but they never swim after dark. I will use my skimmer socks. Thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: Dirk
Success! Signature appears!! Except that's not the signature we're after. We want a list of your equipment, and the spec's of your pool. We base much of our advice on that info. And without the signature, helpers would have to ask you every time what's what, or go back through your posts and threads to find the specs. Which many of us don't have time for, and will just have to pass on helping you.

Study my signature, and try to mimic it as much as possible: equipment list, brands, models, pool type and configuration, even your test kit model, all is helpful in giving you the very best advice.

Success! Signature appears!! Except that's not the signature we're after. We want a list of your equipment, and the spec's of your pool. We base much of our advice on that info. And without the signature, helpers would have to ask you every time what's what, or go back through your posts and threads to find the specs. Which many of us don't have time for, and will just have to pass on helping you.

Study my signature, and try to mimic it as much as possible: equipment list, brands, models, pool type and configuration, even your test kit model, all is helpful in giving you the very best advice.
Dirk, this is what I put in my signature. Please tell me if this is what you see. Thanks

Pool built 2011, 7750 gallon, Swim Safe pool, Krystalkrete finish, kidney shape 25x13, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, no main drain, auto fill and overflow. Pentair IntelliChlor IC20, Pentair CC75 filter Cartridge, Pentair pump 196238 1Hp. Aquatherm 5 panel solar heating, Taylor: TTK 2006 salt water Test Kit. City water.
New SWG in January 2025, new solar panels 2023, new pump needed soon.

Dirk, this is what I put in my signature. Please tell me if this is what you see. Thanks

Pool built 2011, 7750 gallon, Swim Safe pool, Krystalkrete finish, kidney shape 25x13, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, no main drain, auto fill and overflow. Pentair IntelliChlor IC20, Pentair CC75 filter Cartridge, Pentair pump 196238 1Hp. Aquatherm 5 panel solar heating, Taylor: TTK 2006 salt water Test Kit. City water.
New SWG in January 2025, new solar panels 2023, new pump needed soon.
Ta da! Perfect. Thank you.
One typo: "SWG in January 2025"

FYI: when you add or edit your signature, it shows up in every one of your posts, even your old posts, as yours does now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.